Chapter 25

Chapter 25

       One thing I liked about being the owner of the 50's diner was that I got to choose my own shifts. If I wanted a day off, I was able to give myself a day off.

       That was what I did when both Priya and Gerard convinced me to do so Saturday night because we hadn't hung out for a long time. We decided to go to Fusion, the usually spot considering Gerard's parents out the bar so we got a lot of drinks for a discounted price.

       Not that I was going to drink a lot. I was a lightweight and I would rather not get drunk on Saturday night when I had to go to the diner early tomorrow.

       I was the last one to show up and I sat down at the table Priya and Gerard were at. "Finally," Priya said. "We thought you were going to bail. Yet again."

       "Oh, come on," Gerard said. "Of course he's going to be late. He's late for everything."

       "Uh, I was late for everything," I said. "I'm not late for work anymore. I'm trying to prove to my parents that I can be responsible."

       "Is it working?" Priya asked.

       "Nope," I said. "I don't really care anymore. Nothing I do is going to get them to see me as a responsible person. Oh, unless I get over the fact that Courtney cheated on me and get back together with her."

       "They're still on that?" Priya asked as I reached for one of the drinks on the table.

       "Probably," I said. "I haven't talked to them for a while, but knowing them, that will be the first thing they talk about when they see me next."

       "Just tell them to screw off next time," Gerard said.

       "Yeah, I don't think they'll appreciate that," I said.

       "So?" Gerard asked. "You're twenty-years-old and you're living on your own. It's not like they can ground you over it."

       "Well, yeah, but I don't think telling them to screw off will improve my relationship with them."

       "And opening a diner will?"

       "....Okay, fair point."

       "How is the diner doing anyway?" he asked. "I haven't been there yet."

       I raised an eyebrow. "You haven't been there yet? It opened up a month ago. What kind of friend are you?"

       "Hey, at least I haven't completely ditched my friends," Gerard said.

       "What? I haven't ditched you," I said.

       "Uh huh," Gerard said. "You're always with your girlfriend. I'm surprised you haven't invited her to hang out too like you always did when you were with Courtney."

       "Well...." I said slowly, just to tease him.

       Gerard gave me a flat look. "You didn't."

       "Come on, Dan," Priya said. "I mean, I like Destiny and she's way better than Courtney, but it was just supposed to be the three of us."

        "I'm kidding," I said. "Destiny and I don't have to do everything together. She wanted the two of us to hang out tonight, and I told her I was already planning on hanging out with you two, so she told me she's going to have a nap."

       Priya chuckled. "I can see why you two are perfect together. Better than you and Courtney because she's clingy and possessive!" She said the second part louder probably because Courtney was sitting at the bar not too far away with Alex.