Chapter 11

Chapter 11

       I knew it wasn't going to be long before my parents to start giving me crap for breaking up with Courtney; my mom especially. Mom was the one who was always talking about my and Courtney's future wedding and children.

       Too bad it was never going to happen.

       I was in the grocery store, getting more groceries for my house when I saw Mom walk in. She immediately noticed me and walked over. "Daniel," she said. "Why on earth would you break up with Courtney? She was devastated!"

       "Oh no, that's tragic," I said. "That certainly changed everything. Let me just finish buying groceries and I'll go over to her, begging for her forgiveness for me being so cruel and breaking up with her."

       "This isn't a joke," Mom said. "You've been together for six years. Are you really going to through it all away?"

       "Well, considering I already threw it all away, I would say so, yes," I said, hopefully I could avoid her and continue shopping for groceries. However, she just followed me around the store.

       "You two were together for six years," Mom said. "Why? Why would you throw it all away?"

       "For quite a few reasons, actually," I said. "One, I fell out of love with her. Sad, but true. Two, she was becoming way too possessive and jealous and annoying. Three, she slept with someone else. And four, I....Well, I'd rather not get into the fourth reason."

       "She slept with someone else?" Mom asked. I thought she would have at least asked in a sympathetic voice, but she didn't. It was more of a generic tone. Like she didn't really care and she was just getting confirmation on what I had just said.

       "Yes," I said.

       "Can't you overlook that?"

       Unbelievable.

       "See? This right here is the reason I moved out. I get that you're my mother, but that doesn't mean you have to be invested in every single life choice I make. I broke up with Courtney and we're not getting back together. I don't care if you really like her and wanted her to be your daughter-in-law. I don't care if she begs me for another chance. It's over between us."

       "Daniel, I've seen the way you look at Courtney," Mom said. "You can't just throw away what you have. A lot of people don't even make it passed their high school relationship, and you stayed together even two years after you graduated. You were so close to getting married."

       "No, we weren't," I said. "Okay, yes, maybe I did love her. But....I never saw a future with her. I could never see myself proposing to her and getting married to her. So please, just stop trying to get me to change my mind. You have no idea what I'm feeling right now."

       "Of course I do, I'm your mother," Mom said. "You're probably feeling confused. Lost. Upset."

       "Nope," I said. "I'm not confused, I'm definitely not feeling lost, and I'm more pissed than upset. She knew what she was doing when she cheated on me. She even decided to lie to me about it when I brought it up. I'm really sorry, Mom, but nothing you say will change the fact that I am no longer in love with Courtney."

       Come to think of it....I didn't think I was ever in love with her. Maybe I loved her and I cared about her, but it wasn't the feelings of actually being in love.

       Courtney never was the one and it took me six years to realize it.

       "Now I really want to pay for my groceries and head home, so please stop talking to me about her," I said. "It's over between us. It has been for a while."

       I went to one of the tills and paid for the groceries before grabbing the bags and starting to walk home. Almost as soon as I walked out, Priya walked up to me and started walking along side me to my house. "Did your parents start giving you hell yet?" she asked.

       "My mom just did it now," I said. "All I want in life is for them to stop feeling like the can control my life. I am a mature....I am a twenty-year-old. I live on my own, I need to start paying for rent, bills, groceries. Yet they think they can tell me what to do."

       "I know what you mean," Priya said. "I still remember the many, many arguments my dad and I had about my choice in a college degree. He wanted me to go into nursing, and I wanted to go into fashion design."

       "At least your mom was able to convince him otherwise," I said. "I have both parents bossing me around."

       We got to the front of my house and I saw Destiny about to walk into hers. She saw me and gave me a smile and a wave, and I returned both. Well, the best I could when I was carrying grocery bags.

       "No way, Gerard was right," Priya said. "You do like her!"

       "Say it louder for everyone else to hear, why don't you?"

       "You're not even denying it."

       I shrugged. "What's there to deny? She's sweet, beautiful, she basically is into everything I am. The only problem is she's three years younger than me."

       "So?" Priya said. "Gerard's parents are three years apart. Mine are five years apart. You should a--"

       "Not happening," I said. "For one, I just got out of a relationship and I've been in one since I was fourteen. I want to live the single life for a bit. You know, go out drinking without a worry. Not having to apologize everything I get into an argument I didn't even cause. Have harmless flings. Well, actually, I probably won't have harmless flings but you know what I mean."

       "So?" Priya said once again. "I'm pretty sure if you and Destiny start dating, it will be nothing like your relationship with Courtney. She won't get mad at you ignoring her calls just because you had a nap...."

       "Because she would probably be sleeping too."

       "I'm trying to make a point."

       "Yeah, I know, and it's not working. Look, she has been through a lot. She is still going through a lot and I don't want to put any pressure on her."

       "So....When will you ask her out?"

       I shrugged. "I don't know. I don't even know if she likes me. Things will happen when they happen."

______________

Woo, I was actually able to finish this in less than an hour, even before midnight when I started after 11pm :D I was too busy playing Sims 4 BECAUSE THEY NOW HAVE TODDLERS AND THE TODDLERS ARE SO FREAKING CUTE.