Chapter 34

Chapter 34

       The school was about to let out soon, so I was waiting on a bench nearby. Destiny had her first ultrasound today, and we were going to head to the hospital right after she got out of school. 

      I was a bit nervous, to be honest. Once we heard the heartbeat for the first time, it was going to make everything a lot more real.

       The bell rang and I looked at the front door, seeing students pour out. I waited for Destiny to walk out and once I saw her, I stood up from the bench and walked over to her. "Hey," I said. "You ready to go?"

       Destiny nodded. "Yeah. I just want to drop my backpack off at home first so I don't have to keep carrying it with me."

       "Okay," I said. "Then let's go."

       We first headed to her home, which was on the direction the hospital was. She dropped her backpack inside of her home before we continued walking to the hospital. When we got there, we sat down in the waiting room until it was her appointment.

       "My grandpa keeps giving me name suggestions," Destiny said. "Every morning, he just says a name and tells me if I don't use it, he's going to cry."

       "Really?" I asked. "I haven't even thought of any names."

       "Neither have I," Destiny said. "My grandpa keeps saying it's never too early to pick a name."

       "Did you point out that we don't even know the gender yet?" I asked.

       Destiny nodded. "Yeah, he didn't care. He still keeps giving me names of both genders. It got up to the point where I started locking myself in my room when we're both home. So, is your mom still acting the way she is?"

       "You mean worshiping the ground Courtney walks on?"

       "Well, I wasn't going to word it like that, but sure, let's go with that."

       "Yeah, she is," I said. "It's getting really annoying. My dad changed his view on the whole deal with the Goodmans. He said that they shouldn't risk my happiness just so they could expand The Gold Mine."

       "Is the deal still going on?" Destiny asked.

       "Yeah, it's taking a long time to finalize it," I said. "Probably because Courtney is convincing her parents not to go through with it yet and is most likely telling them that she doesn't want to be reminded of our break-up every time she goes to the hotel. At least, that's what Ariella told me."

       "Oh, speaking of Ariella, Courtney found out that she faked having laryngitis," Destiny said.

       "How did she take it?" I asked.

       "Horribly," Destiny said. "She went on and on about how Ariella almost jeopardized the play for her own feelings. She also said that if Ariella didn't want to be Dorothy, she should have said so, which is funny because Ariella has said that many times."

       Enzo soon walked over. "Alright, granddaughter," he said. "It is time for your ultrasound that I am in charge of because I bribed all the other doctors to let me do it."

       "Did you really?" Destiny asked.

       "No, I didn't bribe them," Enzo said. "But I did make sure it was me because I would like to hear the heart beat before a doctor who doesn't even know you. Now come along."

       Destiny and I stood up from the chairs and Enzo led us to the ultrasound room. I sat down beside Destiny and she held her hand out towards me. I intertwined our hands together and gave her a smile, which she returned.

       Enzo set up the machine, all while suggesting a few more names for Destiny to use.

       "Grandpa," Destiny interrupted. "Would you stop with that? Dan and I don't even know the gender yet, so we're not going to be deciding on a name for a while. We might not even decide until the baby is born."

       "It's never to early to think of a name," Enzo said. "I know Horatio's parents had his name picked out even before his mom was pregnant."

       "Okay, but that's them, and this is me and Dan," Destiny said. "We're not picking a name yet."

       "Fine, that's your loss," Enzo said. He then got started on finding the baby's heartbeat.

       It took a while but once I heard it, it was one of the most beautiful sounds I had ever heard. The idea of being a dad still freaked me out and hearing the heartbeat was only making everything even more real, but it was also making me feel a bit excited. Destiny and I would always be connecting through this baby. I could only see Destiny in the rest of my life, but if things somehow didn't last, we would still be connected.

       "That sounds like a completely healthy heartbeat," Enzo said with a soft smile. "It's always amazing, hearing a baby's heartbeat for the first time."

       "It is," Destiny said softly before looking at me. "I know it's way too early in our relationship, but I'm happy we're going to be having a baby together."

       I smiled at her. "Me too."

_______________________

So, I'm still wanting to end this book on chapter 40, but I'm struggling now with thinking of ideas for the next six chapters. Would you guys be okay if it ended next chapter, or do you want it to be on chapter 40? I just don't want to keep dragging it on like I did with Surviving the Life of College and having the ending be all jumbled.

I just really want to start the next book as well. cx SO MUCH DRAMA AND MY CHILD PLAYS AN EVEN BIGGER PART SO I GET TO WRITE ABOUT HIM MORE.

If you guys are fine with it ending on the next chapter, I'll finish it up tomorrow after school and after I update Riverside on Radish, and if I write fast enough, the next book will be up too.