Chapter 4

Chapter 4

       "I take it Courtney is still not talking to you?" Priya asked during work when we were both in the kitchen, this time preparing the food instead of waiting the tables. Dad wouldn't let me wait tables when I walked in because of my 'grumpy face'.

       "And what makes you think that?" I asked.

       "Because of your grumpy face," Priya said. "That, and you've been kneading that dough quite harshly as if it was a punching bag."

       I sighed and tried kneading the pizza dough more calmly. Priya was right though; I have been treating it like a punching bag.

       "So...." Priya said.

       "Yeah, she's still not talking to me," I said. "I don't get it. All I'm doing is helping out someone who's nervous for an audition. What's so bad about that?"

       "The fact that it's a girl you're helping out," Priya said. "Come on, this is Courtney we're talking about. She gets mad whenever you, Gerard, and I hang out without her because I'm a girl."

       "Wait, you are? Since when?"

       Priya glared at me. "I can easily show you the difference by kicking you in a place where it will hurt for you and not for me."

       "I was kidding," I said. "Seriously, take a joke."

       I suddenly saw Enzo leaning in the doorway with Destiny standing behind him. "So, Dan, mind getting me and my granddaughter a glass of wine?" he asked.

       "I'll give you a glass of wine," I said. "And you do know you're supposed to wait for a waiter to take your order, right? Not come here."

       "Yes, but I figured I get priorities because my best friend is the mayor," Enzo said. "Besides, you're my favorite waiter and to find out you're not waiting the tables really breaks my heart."

       "He normally would, but he's not allowed to because of his grumpy face," Priya said. "His dad thinks it will scare away the customers. He's probably right."

       "Is everything okay?" Destiny asked.

       "Yeah, it's just Courtney is ignoring me now," I said. "Even when I tried calling and texting her. She's still mad that I was helping you with your audition."

       "Oh," Destiny said. "Well, maybe she's just worried you're just going to end up pushing her to the back burner or something. You should do something, like cook her a romantic meal."

       "That's kind of hard when she's ignoring me," I pointed out. 

       "I can fix that," Destiny said. "What time do you get off?"

       "Around five, why?"

       "So I can tell her what time to be at your house for you to cook her a meal," Destiny said. "Think you can prepare it all by seven?"

       "Uh, yeah, I guess," I said.

       "Okay, then I'll be right back," she said before leaving The Gold Mind.

       "That's my granddaughter, fixing everyone else's problems," Enzo said. "I'm so proud of her. So, Dan, about that wine...."

       I got him a glass of his favorite wine before going back to work on the pizza dough. It wasn't long before Destiny walked in. "You did see the Employees Only sign, right?" I asked.

       "Well, yeah, but I'm the mayor's best friend's daughter, so I should be getting special privileges," she said. I could definitely see the resemblance between her and Enzo. "So, I talked to Courtney. I don't think she's too fond of me, but she agreed to being at your house by seven. So I think a thank you is in order."