Chapter 29

Chapter 29

       I never got the big deal about Valentine's Day. Sure, it was a day to show your love for other people, but ever since I was fourteen, it was the worst day of the year. Courtney always insisted we go to a fancy restaurant.

       I mean, come on. I was fourteen when she first wanted to go to one. Did she really expect me to have a lot of money? I didn't even start working at The Gold Mine until I was fifteen.

       I had to spend a lot of money on Valentine's Day since I was fourteen, but this year, I didn't. One major difference between Courtney and Destiny was the while Courtney liked materialistic and fancy things, Destiny could care less about that.

       I asked Destiny what she wanted to do on Valentine's Day and she told me to have dinner at BF 50's Diner since it would be free for us.

       While we were going to go there later on, Destiny and I decided to walk around the village to get some fresh air because we spent way too much time either working or being lazy at home.

       "I can't believe you're going to be twenty-one tomorrow," Destiny said as we were walking down the village. "You're so old."

       "You're so funny," I said sarcastically.

       We were right in front of the diner when Destiny stopped walking. "Can we get something to drink?" she asked. "My mouth is really dry. Like, my tongue feels all prickly."

       "Sure," I said. "I'll quickly go inside and get some water."

       "Okay," Destiny said.

       I kissed her cheek before heading inside the diner and to the kitchen. "You know what sucks?" Priya asked me when she saw me walk into the kitchen. "Working on Valentine's Day."

       "Why?" I asked. "Did you have any plans?"

       "No," she said. "But I can see out into the kitchen while I cook and there are too many couples here. I hate couples."

       "You do know I'm part of one, right?" I asked.

       "Yes, but you and Destiny don't act all lovey-dovey," she said. "At least, not in public you don't. It gets sickening having to watch these couples be all lovey-dovey all day."

       "Well, then I'm sorry for scheduling you to work today," I said as I grabbed two glasses to fill up with cold water.

       "Eh, it's okay," Priya said. "It's either work, or babysit my younger brother."

       "Babysit?" I repeated. "Isn't Rajan twelve?"

       "Yeah, and he cannot be left alone," Priya said. "He's always eating all the food, and taking the food up to his room even though he's not supposed to because he leaves a mess. My parents doesn't like when he's home alone. You're lucky to be an only child."

       "Yes, I'm so lucky to be the only child my parents conceived, meaning their expectations are really high and all I do is disappoint them."

       "That's....depressing. Do you even talk to your parents? At all?"

       "Here and there," I said. "I did spend Christmas with them and they, thankfully, dropped the whole Courtney thing. I just hope it stays that way."

       Ariella suddenly rushed into the kitchen. "Dan, Destiny passed out."

       "What?" I asked.

       "What do you mean 'what'?" she asked. "I mean exactly that. She passed out."

       I hurried out of the diner and to where Destiny was laying on the ground. I knelt down beside her, noticing how pale her skin was.