Chapter 10

Chapter 10

       The first thing I noted when I woke up was that I was laying on the couch. I probably would have slept longer if my cell phone wasn't constantly ringing. I rubbed my eyes and reached for it sitting on the coffee table. I answered the phone, not even looking at the caller id. "Hello?" I muttered tiredly.

       "Dan, please tell me you've seen Destiny, or at least have heard from her," Enzo said. "She didn't come home last night."

       "Hmm?"

       Enzo sighed. "Have you seen Destiny? She didn't come home last night?"

        I rubbed my eyes and focused my sight since I was still a bit tired. That was when I noticed Destiny laying on the couch beside me fast asleep, her head resting on my stomach.

       "Yeah, she's with me," I said. "We were having a horrible movie marathon and I guess we fell asleep."

       Enzo released a breath of relief. "Oh, thank goodness! I was so worried. There are a lot of shifty lowlifes out there."

       "Not really here in Spruceworth." Well, I could name one.

       Ugh, just thinking about Courtney was making me mad. Yesterday, I was more sad that she decided to cheat on me but now, I was angry.

        "You don't know that," Enzo said. "I've met a few lowlifes in my time living here. Anyway, can you make sure she gets home safely?"

       "Safely? I live right next door."

       "Shut up, I want my granddaughter safe."

       "Okay, okay. I'm probably late for work anyway. I'll wake her up now."

       "Thank you," Enzo said before we hung up.

       I looked at the time on my phone, also seeing quite a few messages from my dad, telling me that I was late for work. Big surprised there.

       I sighed and placed my phone on the table and rubbed my eyes once again before looking back at Destiny. She looked so peaceful asleep and I didn't really want to wake her up, but I knew I had to get into work.

       I gently shook Destiny awake and she slowly opened her eyes, looking up at me. "What time is it?" she asked  groggily.

       "A bit after seven in the morning," I said. "We fell asleep watching the movies. Your grandpa was worried about you, by the way."

       Destiny groaned and laid back down. "I'm too tired to get up."

       "Me too," I said. "But I have to get going to work and your grandpa wants you home. How about you lay down while I get ready for work, then we'll leave together? Because I'm apparently supposed to make sure you get home safely."

       "But you just live right beside me," Destiny said.

       "Exactly what I told your grandpa," I said. "Now let me get off the couch."

       Destiny sat up momentarily for me to get off the couch and once I was off, she laid back down. I then opened one of the boxes of my clothes and pulled out an outfit for today before going to the washroom to get changed, as well as brush my teeth. And I decided to leave my hair messy because why not?

       I walked out of the living room and told Destiny to get up so we could leave my house. She slowly got up while I grabbed my house keys and phone. She grabbed her phone as well and we left my house with me closing the door and locking it.