Chapter 6

Chapter 6

       I was waiting some tables when I saw Destiny walk into The Gold Mine, and I thankfully just set an order down at one of the tables so I walked over to her. "So?" I asked.

       "I don't want to talk about it," she said. "Any chance I can get a glass of....well, anything?"

       I furrowed my eyebrows. "What happened? Yesterday, you told me that you did extremely well at the audition."

       "Yeah, well, not good enough," she said. "I'm not even part of the cast."

       "What? But everyone who auditions always gets a part," I said. "They even double-cast sometimes so one person will perform that role one night, and the other will do another night."

       "Okay, I technically am part of the cast," Destiny said. "I'm the understudy."

       "The what?"

       "Understudy," she repeated. "They o--"

       "I know what an understudy is," I said. "I just don't get why you would be one."

       Destiny shrugged. "I probably messed up my audition and didn't even know it. Or I'm still new to the village and it isn't fair to the others who have been here longer."

       That wasn't what I really meant by me not getting why she would be an understudy. My mom never made anybody an understudy, especially someone as talented as Destiny. So why would she start now?

       I looked at the clock hanging on the wall close to the kitchen before looking back at Destiny. "I get off in ten minutes," I said. "How about we do something to take your mind off of it?"

       "I don't know, I kind of just want to head home and watch some really poorly made movies," she said. "You know, the ones with cheesy lines and horrible special effects?"

       "Hey, I watch those all the time," I said. "Courtney hates that I watch them, but they're the best movies out there. Care for some company? I can bring anything on the menu, free of charge."

       "Tempting," Destiny said. "....Is chicken wings an option?"

       "Well, it's on the menu and I said I can bring anything," I said. "Let me just finish up my shift."

       "Okay," Destiny said. "I'll be waiting here."

       After I finished my shift, I quickly made some teriyaki chicken wings and placed them in a takeout container before hanging up my apron and leaving the kitchen to where Destiny was. We then left The Gold Mine and headed to her house.

       When we got inside, I set the chicken wings on the coffee table before she led me to where the poorly made movies were. I picked one that I haven't seen yet, and luckily Destiny hasn't seen it yet either. 

       "You know, I'm in mood for some wine to drink away my sorrows," I said as I sat on the couch. "But I know Enzo would kill me."

       "Only if you touch the white wine," Destiny said, putting the movie into the DVD player. "I don't think he would care about the red wine. I don't even know the difference between the two, other than the color."

       "You would know if you tried some," I said, opening the takeout container and immediately got a whiff of that glorious teriyaki scent. "Oh, now I'm really craving beef jerky."

       "I think we have some in the kitchen," she said before standing up and walking to the kitchen. She ended up finding a bag of beef jerky and tossing it to me.