Chapter 14

Chapter 14

       I knew what Dad was going to talk to me about as soon as I walked into The Gold Mine for my shift. I was actually on time -five minutes early, to be exact- so I knew it wasn't going to be a lecture about being on term.

       Instead, he was going to talk about the girl my parents seemed to worship.

       "Daniel," Dad said as I walked into the kitchen. "About Cour--"

       "Uh, stop right there," I said. "I don't want to talk about her anymore. I'm serious. If you so much as bring her name up again, I'll quit."

       Dad snorted. "You can't quit, Daniel. Need I remind you you're living on your own now? You need a job to pay for everything."

       "Then I'll....I don't know, ask Grandpa if there's a job at the mayor's office for me," I said.

       "I doubt there would be."

       I leaned out the doorway between the kitchen and the rest of the restaurant, looking at my grandpa who was sitting at a table nearby. "Hey, Grandpa," I said and he looked at me. "Any jobs at the office for me?"

       "Actually, one of the secretaries is moving in two weeks across the province," Grandpa said. "The position's yours if you want it."

       "I'll take it," I said before going back into the kitchen. "Dad, I'm officially handing in my resignation. I'm quitting in two weeks."

       Dad looked out of the kitchen and to Grandpa, who was giving Dad an innocent smile. "Don't encourage him," Dad said.

       "I'm not encouraging him," Grandpa said. "I'm serious about the job and you can't expect dear Dan to work in this restaurant his whole life. He needs experience in other fields."

       Dad sighed and looked at me. "This does not mean you can take your job lightly. For the next two weeks, you have to treat it the way you have been ever since you started working here."

       "So basically showing up late and accidentally spilling wine on the floor?"

       "You know that isn't what I meant."

       "But it is what you implied."

       "Just get to work."

       "Yes, sir."

       I now couldn't wait until I was done working at the restaurant. I loved The Gold Mine a lot, but since my dad was my boss, it only gave him the chance to baby me even more. 

       When my shift finished, I hung up my apron and walked out of The Gold Mine. Only a few more shifts left. Then I could go there just to eat and have my dad wait on me. That would be fun. Although, knowing me, I'd be an annoying little pest of a customer just because.

       "Dan?" a very familiar but at the same time not-so-familiar voice said. I looked over to my right and silently sighed, seeing none other than Alex Goodman walk over, her arms crossed over her chest.

       I already knew what she was going to say.

       "Didn't you move away from Spruceworth to go to university?" I asked, in my mind thinking please go back there as soon as you can.

       "Yes, but I got kicked out so now I'm back here," she said. "That's not the point. Why on earth would you...."

       "Break up with Courtney?" I asked. "Yeah, I've heard that question way too many times. I don't love her anymore, I don't see a future with her, so I break up. And I swear, if someone asks me that again, I'm locking myself in my house."