The Late Night

The steward led them to the VIP section of the restaurant. Not only was it more lavishly decorated, the ambiance was so much more intimate than the general section, that it made Hermione squirm. Each table was separated by partitions and the only source of light were the dull lamps and lanterns, and the candlelight. There was some slow music playing in the background, which Hermione couldn't recognize. (Must be a Wizard Band, she thought). Worse, it was completely empty, except for them.

Was it just low on business or had Malfoy booked the whole section? Hermione wondered.

The steward showed them to their table. Malfoy was right. The restaurant had held on to his reservation.

"Thank you for holding on to the table, Ralph", said Draco, with a nod.

"Anytime, for you, Sir. Your menu", the steward acknowledged and left.

Hermione's eyes were ready to pop out with shock. Malfoy was being civil?

"Granger, could you please push your eyeballs back into your sockets, or they'll fall into your plates while you eat. Hasn't anyone taught you that staring is rude?" Malfoy drawled, still looking into his menu.

Hermione snorted. "Rude? Hark who's talking about rude", she said smirking.

Draco rolled his eyes. "Alright, Granger", he conceded, silver orbs boring right into her chocolate ones, "I don't want a scene. Not that there is anyone else here to create one. So you'll just have to tell me why you've been acting weird ever since you've stepped in the restaurant. What's wrong? Is it too elite for your tastes or is it simply because this is your first time dining decently, 'cause I'm pretty sure Weasel King cannot afford anything even remotely close. Would you prefer to go someplace else?" he asked, face impassive, not betraying a hint of emotion. Hermione couldn't tell if he was concerned or he was insulting her. She decided on the latter since it was more likely.

Draco had been wondering if Hermione was having trouble fitting in due to Weasel King rubbing off on her or she was simply impressed. He had decided to ask in the most Malfoyish way possible and so he did.

"No", she snapped. "This one's fine. I have had decent dinners in the Muggle world, Malfoy. Weasleys may not be faring so well in the wizarding community, but in the Muggle world, my parents are."
"Oh, and I'm sorry that I'm not as deprived as you think I am", she added sarcastically.

"You know for a moment I was wondering if you had changed since you were being polite to the steward, but I can see you're still the same", she confessed and went back to looking at the menu.

Draco snorted "Of course I can be polite Granger. I was not home tutored by the finest in wizarding society to turn out to be a ruffian who stuffs food in his mouth like the Weasel and bets away his girlfriend", he retorted scathingly.

"Didn't stop you from betting on a woman though."

"So it's my fault the Weasel sold you out?"

"No. Not completely, at least."

Draco was taken aback. Had she forgiven him? Not completely, apparently. He was at a loss for words and that did not happen often.

"Why did you do it?"

"What?"

"Why me, when you could have asked for anything?"

Draco didn't know what to say. Why had he done it? He had reasoned with himself that it was to teach the Weasel a lesson and with his mates that it was to break up the Golden Trio, but was that really it? Either way he didn't want to say.

He was saved by the waiter asking him to place his order, waiting patiently, quill and parchment, hovering above their heads.

He looked at her questioningly so as to say, what do you want?
In return she gave him a non committal look so as to say, I don't care, whatever.

"We'll have Foie gras, smoked salmon and lemon cardamom syllabub, with some of your finest Bungbarrel Spiced Mead", he ordered.

"Excellent choice sire", the waiter left with the quill and parchment floating behind him.

But Hermione persisted after he left.

"So why did you do it Malfoy?"

"I don't know what your talking about, Granger."

"I've heard the stories you know."

"From who? Loony? The one who thinks an ex-Death Eater is hot? I don't think that gives her much credibility, do you?" he argued.

"A lot of people think that, obviously mostly in your House, but that's beside the point. And Luna is known for saying uncomfortable truths. I'd trust her word over yours any day", she countered.

"Even when she says I've taken Nargle wing potion?" he asked, now thoroughly amused at her persistent curiosity. Damn Gryffindors! The clever ones were the worst.

At this Hermione burst into fits of laughter, Draco joining her. This was the moment they would remember for years to come. The moment where a spark was ignited. A spark that became so much more.

***************************

Back at the Gryffindor common room, Harry, Ginny and Ron were finishing up their Potions essay. Although Harry and Ron were 8th years, much of their syllabus coincided with the 7th years since they would be taking their NEWTS together.

It felt weird for the boys with Ginny helping them out with their essays instead of Hermione, especially for Harry, but in light of recent events, he didn't want her to deal with any more than what she already had on her plate. One of the reasons why he was keeping his distance from her. He knew Ron didn't deserve her after the stunt he'd pulled. But at the same time, Ron wouldn't have anyone if Harry were to ditch him, and that was bad for Quidditch. At least, Hermione had Ginny. He'd just have to work with that for the time being.

"Ginny did you check up with 'Mione? It's half past eight already. I hope she's okay", he enquired. After all she was accompanied by an ex-Death Eater. There was no telling what would happen.

Ginny rolled her eyes. "Harry, she can take way better care of herself than you can of yourself, left on your own, and you know that. If there was a problem, she would let us know."

"Huh? It's eight already?" Said Ron, looking up from his essay, bleary-eyed, suddenly aware of the time. Then in a lower voice to Harry, so Ginny woud not hear, "Harry, how is it possible that she isn't back yet? It's Malfoy."

Harry gave Ron a disappointed look as if to say, it's on you mate, you kinda deserve it, and walked away, kissing Ginny good night and wrapping up his homework for the day. But when he saw Ginny following after him, he was intrigued.

"What's wrong Ginny?

"Just thought I'd hop along to the Heads' Dorms with you.

"I see. Am I getting lucky tonight?" He asked suggestively wiggling his eyebrows.

"No idiot!" She said slapping his chest. "I promised Hermione I'd wait up. Besides, I'd sleep better knowing she's back."

Harry couldn't agree more. He was worried for his best friend and that would never change. What he didn't know was Ginny was planning on staying for an entirely different reason.

***************************

Author's Note:

Stay tuned for the next chapter: The Fate Night. Don't forget to SHARE this book with your friends, VOTE, and COMMENT!

This chapter is dedicated to TheGirlWhoLived26 and thatonebunnylover . Thank you for all the support!!

Until next time, HAPPY READING!! 😘😘