Chapter 1

update (feb 2021): hello everyone! i just published the first chapter of my new story, 'wild summer' ✨ it's an angsty romance. feel free to check it out!

Jane's POV

I force my two wobbly legs to keep walking. Only 3 minutes until I get to my apartment. My legs are super tired today, results of pole dancing for 2 hours. For someone who is only 21 years old, I'm not supposed to be this tired but working as a pole dancer really has it cons. It's not like I choose to have this life. I only do this to support my son and me.

People will definitely judge my current career but I have my own reason on why I choose to be a pole dancer. Firstly because I just love dancing in general. When I was a kid I used to dream to be a dancer when I grow up. Unfortunately, my dream can only stay a dream.

But since Danny's pub is looking for a new dancer, I mean pole dancer, so I thought why not. And the pay was also good. Or maybe the pay was high only because Danny knows my condition and he did it out of pity. Either way I'm still happy with how my life turns out right now even though it is not as flourishing as other people but I take what I can get for me and my son.

After I left home, I can't further my study in University because I have no money and I don't have any acquaintance that could help me to get a scholarship. Besides, having to take care of a baby with me while I'm busy studying during the day is definitely not gonna work for me. Unlike working in Danny's pub which is at night so I have more time during the day to spend with my son. Such a shame my smart brain won't be so useful anymore. So there goes my dream to be a Uni student.

Being 18 back then while having a baby with no working experience or any certificate from a Uni was hard for me. I can't get better jobs but I have to keep trying to feed my small family.

Fast forward now here I am working as a pole dancer because that's one of the easiest way to get money fast and doesn't need any requirements such as degree. Also the pub that I am working at was owned by a friend of mine, Danny.

I want to thank whoever is above for sending Danny my way. He has been helping me since the day we first met. Danny has been the best helpful big brother that I have never had.

In my weak state, Danny was the one to help me, provided me with a place to stay, and help me financially during my pregnancy. Though sometimes Danny could be really cocky and annoying but he is seriously the sweetest guy ever.

After my pregnancy, Danny offered me to work at his pub, Foster House. No, it is not the typical club like you thought. Danny has opened it for a music, performance and arts venue, and pub.

Honestly, I don't like being a pole dancer. I feel like I am one of those sluts or a cheap woman. But I love to dance. It is one of the things that I am passionate about. So being a pole dancer is not that bad after I did a few tries. It was just like dancing but with... a pole, obviously.

When I finally arrived at my apartment, I open the door slowly, afraid to wake up my baby who's probably sleeping since it's 12:25 am already.

I saw Mary, the babysitter, cleaning the counter at the kitchen. Mary is quite old, 52 actually, and I always told her not to clean my apartment but just take care of my son because I don't want to tire her out. But she insisted to help me. She doesn't even ask for extra pay. She knows what my job is and how do I end up here so she insisted to help me.