Chapter 17

Jane's POV

I flitted through my apartment as Mary and Noah sat on the couch. With a groan, I slipped on the only heels that I owned and walked a few steps. I let out another noise of dissatisfaction and put on the black flats.

"What are you stressing about? Aren't you just going out to a dinner date with William? You should feel happy." Mary said.

"Yeah, but I can't decide what shoes to wear, and I don't know if i should wear a dress or just jeans and t-shirt. I don't know if it's going to be fancy or just a regular place. He said it was a surprise and won't even give me a single clue. He just said to wear anything nice." I shrugged with a puzzled face.

Mary gave me an odd look, "The Jane I know would not be this stressed over shoes or outfits. You would never be stressed about the simplest thing."

Mary pushed herself to stand beside me. I felt my cheeks get hot and turned my back to her.

"What's going on dear?" She asked calmly.

"Nothing, I just want to make a good impression and trying to look decent." I said quietly.

"Nuh-uh. That's not it." She teased and I frowned. "You still have an hour before he says he'll get out of work but here you are stressing. Now tell me, what's wrong?"

I sighed, "I don't know Mary. I am happy and looking forward for this date ever since he asked me that one time. But I feel like there's just something not right."

I still remember the first time he asked me on a date. But then he had to cancelled it because he got a last minute meeting. And now it has been weeks until he finally got the time for this date.

"I mean, he's a CEO for god's sake and look at me, I'm just a random girl with a lower status who dance at the pub every night. And let's not forget to mention that I'm also a single mother." I sighed.

"Yes, he is a CEO and a well known person. And yes, you are a mother to a very lovely boy and yes, you are a pole dancer because you loves to dance and you also do it for money to survive. There's not one flaw about you my dear." Mary told me with a sad smile.

I turned to look at my son who is still sitting on the couch, watching TV. And then I turned back to look at Mary.

"Jane, just because William is rich, it doesn't make him any better than you. You don't have to dress fancily just because you're going out with a CEO. Just dress up nicely and be yourself. Why change yourself for someone who wouldn't change anything for you? If he really likes you, he would still think you look beautiful even in a pajama." 

All the things that Mary said to me makes me aware and feel overwhelmed. What she said also reminds me of my mom because mom always said that we are the most beautiful when we are proud to be ourselves.

"Thank you Mary. I know I should not feel inferior." I hugged her for a while.

"Okay, I go get ready now yeah? I'm just gonna wear that black dress with this black flats. Who cares what I wear? Besides, dress is appropriate for every occasions. Fancy or not, I think the dress would do the trick anyway." I said confidently while picking up my black flats and went to my room to change.

"Now that's the Jane I know." Mary said while looking at me amused and let out a small laugh.

After an hour, William arrives at my apartment to pick me up. I grab my purse and get ready to leave.

I saw Noah fell asleep on the couch. I kneel beside him and give him a kiss on the forehead. "Love you baby. I'll be home soon."

On my way to the front door I saw Mary on the kitchen and went to hug her.