050

Chresanto's P.O.V.

"They want me".

I stared at Rayan, as did Elijah and Jacob, we were in the cafeteria eating lunch. Jacob was sitting with us as per Ray's request. We hadn't spoken to one another, but he did speak to Elijah. I wasn't stupid, I wasn't expecting things to go back to normal after we talked, but at least we could be around one another without throwing punches. 

"Who?" I asked, taking it upon myself to speak first.

"Two of the schools that came to the art show want me, they really liked my work and they think I'd be a perfect addition to their art departments".

"Really?" Jacob suddenly spoke up, "which two schools?"

"Columbia and Princeton".

"Seriously? Ray, that's great" I stated, really feeling happy for him. This was all he ever wanted, he wanted to go to a college that was going to help further his career in art, and now he had the opportunity. "How are you going to choose between the schools?"

"I have no idea, Columbia and Princeton are both Ivy Leagues, and they both cost a shit ton of money. I don't have that money, my family can't afford to send me off to either of those colleges without help. I've got to look into financial aid, grants, loans, scholarships... Anything that's going to help me get there, but even then I don't know how much any of those things will help. I kind of want to go to Princeton because it's closer to New York, I did some research and Princeton, New Jersey, is only an hour and some minutes away from New York City".

"Don't worry"Jacob reassured, "I'm sure if both colleges really like you, which it seems like they do, they'll figure out how to get you in one of their dorms. Scholarships is the way to go, or grants, you can't beat free money".

I stared at Jacob because that's the most I've heard him speak in one go in a while, I knew I should look away from him, but I couldn't. He still looked different than he usually did, he looked tired and like he was trying to curl in on himself and just hide away. I was taken out of my stupor when Jacob spoke again, but he wasn't speaking to me.

"Elijah, are you okay?"

Glancing at Elijah, I could tell that he wasn't, but he was trying really hard to keep himself together. Ray turned to look at Elijah and frowned, noticing the way Elijah was pretty much avoiding eye contact with everyone at the table.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing, I'm alright" Elijah said, answering both Ray and Jacob's questions. "I'm just really proud of you, Ray, and, um... Yeah, just really proud and happy".

Elijah was a shit liar, he'd always been, and he still was, because it was obvious he was trying really hard not to just burst into tears. He stood up from the table, murmuring that he had to go, and walked off before anyone could say anything to him.

"Why the fuck can't we just have one normal lunch?" I asked, growing frustrated. I stood up from the table too, as did Ray and Jacob, and we walked out of the cafeteria, our food long forgotten. Elijah was standing in the hallway, wiping at his eyes and sniffling. "What's the matter with you?" I asked roughly, which I really didn't mean for it to come out that way, but I was just confused and a bit angered that Elijah just walked off so fast.

"I said I was alright".

"Obviously you're not alright".

"I don't want to tell you, Chresanto" he murmured, glancing at Rayan. "Not with Ray here".

I stared at Elijah for a really long time before slowly nodding my head, I think I got it.

"Does it have to do with... You know, the thing we talked about that one time when I came over to help Ray choose his art pieces?"