Chapter Twenty•Four - The Hicks

Rey was sitting at home, her belly big with her babies . She rested a bowl of popcorn on top of the bump and had a glass of lemonade in the other.

Her phone got a text and she reached to grab it.

Ben: when's your next birthing class?
Rey: why do you care
Ben: the sake of my children
Rey: it was two hours ago
Ben: why didn't you tell me ?!
Rey: I didn't want to see you
Ben: I can't be with my children right now so the least you could do is let me go with you to a fucking birthing class
Rey: way to talk to a pregnant lady
Ben: have they kicked yet?
Rey: no
Ben: let me know when they do... I would like to feel it.
Rey: who says I would let you put your hands on me ?
Ben: give it a rest.
Rey: 🖕
Ben: real mature
Rey: okay baby daddy
Ben: 🖕

Rey threw her phone across the couch and turned the volume up for her baking show.

*

Rey was out with Finn looking at baby clothes "so I was thinking for Poe's birthday-" and Rey clutched her side .

"Woah" Finn said and grabbed her by the shoulders. "Sit down I'm gonna bring the car around okay?"

"Finn I'm  fine ... oh god" she groaned holding her belly. "Go!" She yelled and he ran out to grab the car.

*
She was breathing hard in the little hospital bed. The door opened and she expected to see the doctor walking through, not Ben.

"Why are you here?" She asked.

"Finn called me saying you went to the hospital" he answers "I wanted to make sure you where okay"

"I'm fine" she sneered.

"Then why are you still in the hospital?" He asked.

She rolled her eyes and felt a rush of pain go through her body. The door opened and the doctor came in with a smile .

"Ms. Kenobi ... oh is this the father ?" He asked as he set the papers down on the counter.

"Yes I am are they okay?" Ben asked.

"She's fine" and both Rey and Ben sighed in relief. "It was just Braxton Hicks contractions ... nothing but the body preparing itself for labor, some women experience this sooner than others"

"Okay how will we know the difference between this and one of the Braxton Hicks things?" Ben asked.

"More pain... Ms. Kenobi if you just put you feet up and drink some water they should fade away..."

"Okay" Rey nodded.

"It's just some mild discomfort from the uterus" the Doctor explained.

"Mild ?" Rey asked "have you ever had one of this ?"

"No but it's just a mild -"

"No uterus no opinion!" She snapped.

"Thank you doctor we're free to go then?"

"Free as a bird" he smiled and shook Ben's hand then walked out the door.

"You want me to drive you home ?" Ben asked as she got up and put her leggings on underneath her hospital gown.

"No Finn will" she said .

"Finn left ... Poe and their cat ... I told him to leave and take care of their cat" Ben told her.

"Find I guess"

*

Ben and Rey sat silently in his car as he drove her home . Rey was looking at her phone and Ben's eyes were focused on he road in front of him.

"So" Ben said as he parked in front of her building "have you planned a baby shower -"

"No... I don't want one... it's no fun when you don't have a mom or sister to throw it for you" she replied.

"Oh..." he nodded "well... let me
know when-"

"Oh" Rey said and her hand flew to her stomach .

"You okay?" He asked.

"Ben, they're kicking" she said and grabbed his hand . His large palm engulfed her tiny hand as he felt their children move .

"Oh my god... they're really in there" he said and Rey smiled .

-A.N.
Guys I've been so busy with Fiddler and stuff this week ! I also had to start a new subject because my counclar told me it would look better on collage transcripts...

Anyway we open for Fiddler in two weeks ! And we've got all our costumes. I wear four different costumes .

1. A skirt, apron , long blouse, stockings , vest, head covering shoes

2. My wedding dress & veil

3. My baby bump & skirt with jacket for Topsy Turvy that I convinced my director to let me wear like Al Sibs #cutestspreganatwomanonbroadway

4. My other long jacket and skirt

And Mark and I went and got fake wedding rings for "Sunrise, Sunset"

-Joey