Chapter 1

"Yo, a new girl," Jax chuckled to Opie as they, with Chibs close behind, strolled into Lumpy's. "She's about 150 pounds too light and fifty years too young to be here."

Opie glanced at the far end of the gym to see the mystery brunette making a fresh pot of coffee and refilling the towel racks. He had to agree with Jax, she very new and very young.

"You complaining?" He scoffed. "Cause I ain't."

Jax's bright, swoon worthy smile spread across his face as he shook his head. "Not me." He winked at her as they made their way toward the back office.

Taking a spot by the door, Chibs flashed her a charming smirk when she glided over to him. His eyes never left the meeting, though, intent on doing his job as Jax's Sargent-at-arms even if it was only Lumpy.

"Can I get you guys anything?" She asked, peeking into the office as Jax and Opie sat across from the desk. The older man shook his head but Jax turned and smiled at her.

"We're good, darlin', thanks."

She nodded and scurried away quietly to let them attend to whatever business they had. "My granddaughter Kaitlin, she's back from DC," Lumpy explained. "I just wanted to tell you myself that I'm going to have to sell."

"Sell?" Opie pulled a face. "You said you weren't."

"You were pretty adamant about it," Jax added.

"I don't have it in me," he sighed. "They're riding me hard and money ain't what it used to be. The gym is hurtin'." It pained him, they could see that, but Lumpy seemed sure of his decision. "I'd rather have something to give her than have to close down with nothing."

"I get that," Jax nodded slowly.

"I know you're fighting Hale, I'm sorry boys."

"You don't have to apologize," Opie said sadly. "We get it."

"Hale was Clay's war," Jax said darkly. "We aren't throwing in with him but it ain't personal for me."

Lumpy smiled and offered each of the Sons a handshake before slowly walking them to the door.

"Ah shit," he hissed as he saw Salazar giving Kaitlin a hard time.

Jax smiled smugly as he moved toward the entrance to the gym. Staying behind, Opie looked at Lumpy questioningly. "This part of why you're selling?"

"I can protect myself," Lumpy said somewhat stubbornly. "Salazar is a damn pussy anyway." Opie laughed at that and watched as Jax approached them. 

"There a problem?" Jax asked confidently

"I'm fine," Kaitlin said quickly. "Thank you."

"I have to talk to Lumpy," Salazar said. He moved to grab her arm, as if to push her to the side, but Kaitlin quickly slapped his hand away.

"Don't touch me," she said sharply. "Get out. If he wants to talk to you, he'll call you."

"You heard the lady," Jax smirked. "Get out."

Salazar hesitated, but no one doubted he'd run quickly. He stared Jax down before slowly backing toward the door only turning his back and slipping out at the last possible moment.

"Pussy," she uttered quietly. "Thanks," she said to Jax with a half smile. "Could we talk...privately?"

Jax nodded, taking her hand and guiding her out the front door. "What's going on, darlin'?"

"You can keep the darlin' and call me Katie. The girls must love you," she said jokingly as she rolled her eyes.

There was a strange kinship they felt, both seeing the same charisma and allure in each other.