Chapter 43

"How do I look?" Katie asked Nero as she stepped into his office.

He chuckled. "Mama, you know how you look."

Katie sighed, "I don't mean like that. Do I look professional? Do I look like I work here?"

His expression turned more serious now. "I didn't think you cared what everyone else thought."

"Normally I don't," she admitted. "I'm going to meet with Charlotte's dad and his lawyer about finalizing custody, visitation and support."

It clicked in his mind and she could see it on his face. "I thought you two were alright?"

"We're fine," she scoffed, "It's his bitch wife. She's jealous or some shit, she's trying to take over, she gets in his head. I just want to make sure there's nothing they can pull out and use against me."

"I would say Diosa could be used against you," he said, "But I know the reputation he has. I'm guessing you're equal when it comes to sources of income."

Katie nodded, "I'm trying to change that, though."

A sad smile spread across his face. "You're leaving?"

"Not right away," she said quickly. "I'm working on a few things, I have some ideas, but I think I'll need some help."

"How can I help you, Mama?"

Letting out a puff of air, Katie rolled her eyes. "Right now, I'm not sure. Let me secure a few things and we'll talk about it. I appreciate this, Nero. You have no idea."

He smiled and nodded, "You let me know."

"Actually, for now, you could let me out of here a bit early? I want to beat Jax there."

"You're done in an hour?"

"Forty Five minutes," she corrected him.

"Go," he gestured to the door, "Good luck."

Sitting in Lowen's waiting room, Katie smiled and gave Alec a tiny shove as Jax strolled in alone. Katie had been sure to schedule this meeting while Tara was at work but knew there was a chance she'd get out of it so she could be there with them.

"Hey," she stood and greeted him warmly. "No Tara?"

"Work," he shrugged. "Just you and Alec?"

Katie nodded, "Happy isn't involved. We're Charlotte's parents," she said with a hint of anger.

"Yeah," he said, clearly annoyed. "Alec," Jax extended his arm and the two shook hands.

"Jax, it's nice to see you," Alec said politely.

Jax nodded, "Yeah. We can do this peacefully?"

"I don't know, can we?" She asked him.

"We all can," Alec interrupted.

"Jax, Miss Feldstein," Lowen stepped out of her office. "You can come in."

"This is my lawyer," Katie said as she gestured to Alec. "I'm not sure if you two have met in person."

They shook hands and exchanged pleasantries before everyone shuffled into her office. Copies of the proposed agreement were laid out but Katie didn't need to read it again.

"No daycare," she said abruptly. "I'm fine with it for now, except the daycare. I have a wonderful nanny for any time during Jax's weeks that he or myself can't be with Charlotte while we're working."

"Katie," Jax sighed. "Tara can be with her too if she's not working and it's during my weeks."

"Tara isn't her mother," Katie said coolly.