Chapter 49

They tried to act as casual as possible while waiting for Happy but, much to their dismay, he didn't make it to the gym before the client left. They moved into her office for privacy before speaking. 

"What's going on?" He asked, his hands on her shoulders as his eyes looked her over for injury or any sign of fear.

Katie scowled, "We're fine. A client was here earlier, eyeing the girls like he was trying to figure out which one of us was Heather."

"Fuck," he growled. "I'm sorry. I couldn't get here sooner without it being shady."

"No, it's fine," she sighed. "I'm probably overreacting."

"You're not," he told her. "That's the deal, they know that."

Katie nodded. "Yeah, they know. It's in the agreement, I stress it 'cause I'm so paranoid about someone finding out."

"I'll talk to him," Happy said firmly. "Set em' straight."

"No," she said staunchly. "It's fine. I'll talk to him, I can handle it. I shouldn't have called you, I overreacted, that's all. He's not the first overzealous client I've had."

Happy's face was suddenly dark. "Ain't the first but we both remember what the last overzealous asshole client you had did," he reminded her with a harsh whisper. "This guy needs to be checked. Now."

Her face was puffy, the reminder of Pope flooding her with horrible emotions, as she looked up at him and tried not to cry. "Okay. Maybe you're right."

Pressing a hard kiss on her forehead he wrapped his arms around her. "I didn't wanna upset you. Sorry."

"It's okay," she mumbled into his chest. "You're right. It's safer."

"Yeah," he kissed the top of her head. "I'll take care of it."

After a typical day on the lot, Jax returned home to find Tara in the laundry room inundated with laundry. He smiled and waved from the kitchen but didn't say anything.

"Are we going to talk?"

"About?"

"Everything," she sighed. "Charlotte and Katie, the custody thing, all of it."

"What do you wanna say?"

Tara sighed heavily and plopped the bundle of laundry she had in her hand. "I respect what you're doing, I'm sorry I put a strain on your relationship with your daughter."

"Why don't I buy that?" He asked, leaning against the utility sink and crossing his arms over his chest.

Her shoulders dropped. "Cause I don't really mean it."

"Yeah," he huffed. "I didn't think so." Jax stood straight again. "Maybe I should go," he gestured behind him.

"No," she said quickly. "Look, I do mean it but I'm still dealing with everything."

"With Katie?"

She nodded sheepishly. "It's not about Charlotte she was just an easy tool to get to Katie, get between you two."

"Don't use my kid as a goddamn tool," he snapped. "I don't feel shit for Katie compared to how I feel for you. How many times I gotta tell you that? It's only ever been you, Tara. You girl shit to every chick walking around here, some deserve it but most don't. Katie doesn't."

"You may not feel anything for her in comparison but you have a bond, one I thought only we'd share, Jax. You're not mine anymore, not totally, and I have to accept that."

"You shoulda came to be with this months ago," he chided. "Now I got a goddamn custody suit hanging over me and it all rides on if I can convince her you're gonna back up or not."  Jax closed his eyes for a moment and tried to calm himself. "I'm sorry you're feeling like that, it wasn't what I wanted, none of this was, but you need to talk to me. Trust me."

"I'm sorry, Jax," she whispered.

"Yeah me too," he stroked her cheek before pressing his lips gently against hers. "I'm gonna stay at the clubhouse. Some space for the night might help."

Tara nodded and watched as he left the way he had came. Her anger bubbled, focused on Katie as if had always been, but she knew it was all a defense mechanism. Her battle wasn't with Katie or Jax and if she didn't want to damage her marriage further Tara had to find a way to neutralize her negative feelings.

That evening once it was dark and most of the neighborhood had settled in their homes, Happy waited a few houses down from the address Katie had given him. Creeping up the street, Happy watched as the man parked in his driveway, gathering his things in the darkness.

Once he climbed out of his car and slammed the door Happy was waiting for him, one foot up on the man's front tire.

"Can I help you?" He asked, not as startled as Happy expected him to be.

"Don't go to the gym again," he warned the man. "You know the rules, you're either a client of the girls or the gym. Not both."

Loudly exhaling a long deep breath the man chuckled nervously. "I didn't think anyone would see me. The girls are great," he stammered hoping to explain. "I was hoping for a glimpse of them out of the leather. You know, right? Curiosity, is all."

"No," he growled. "I don't get it. I don't need chicks whipping me to get off either," he said judgmentally. "Don't go sniffing around in daylight or without an appointment again. Clear?"

"Clear," he mumbled, more apprehensive than before. "I'm sorry."

"Fuckin' should be." Happy said before warning the man one last time.  "Don't make me come back here."