Chapter 40

*About a week and a half later*

"Damn," Jax laughed as he stepped into Katie's living room. "Place looks good. How'd you get it all done so fast?"

"She had help," Happy said as he clomped down the steps in his boots.

"You?" He asked with a chuckle.

"Hell no," he scoffed.

"A few of the girls from Diosa," she shrugged. "Happy did the whole shirtless furniture moving show though," she winked at him. "He's learning."

Jax nodded, feeling somewhat uncomfortable around them the closer they got. "He's slow but eventually he gets shit."

"I appreciate you coming over, Jax," Katie said. "Marie had an appointment," she said as an explanation as to why the nanny wasn't able to stay with Charlie. "She'll be here as soon as she can but I have to get to work."

"It's all good," Jax said. "I haven't seen the baby in a while anyway."

"Yeah," Happy grumbled, getting off the couch and disappearing further into the house.

"What's up?" Jax asked. "Hap ain't slick, something's going on."

Katie nodded. "Did you talk to Tara?"

"I did," he nodded. "I told ya I talked to her, handled it."

"Handled it?" Katie asked, slightly annoyed. "Okay. So tell me what you said, what she said, what happened. I think I deserve an update or something."

Jax sighed heavily. "I told her you were pissed, she was wrong and that she can't make decisions for the baby without talking to us first."

"And what did she say?" Katie asked, her arms crossed over her chest.

"She said she understands," he simply said.

"She understands?" Katie laughed. "Did she say why she went against my wishes when she knew how I felt?"

"No," Jax lied, "And I didn't ask. Sorry."

Katie could sense his hesitation, his uncertainty and confusion in his position between her and Tara, and how he struggled to support both women how he had promised. "I don't want Tara to be around Charlotte unless I'm there. At all. Seriously, Jax."

"I think you're-"

"I'm her mother," she said forcefully. "And yeah, you're her dad Jax, but I'm not okay with it and I'm not going to budge. You're refusing to really talk about this, or talk to Tara about it, but I can tell this is more than just a stupid decision on her part."

His eyes narrowed. "What are you talking about?"

"Tara hates this," she said quickly. "She probably hates me and I don't know how she feels about the baby but there's more to this than you know, or are admitting."

"She's my wife," Jax said protectively.

"Charlotte is your daughter," Katie said. "And you should respect her mother."

"That the real reason I'm seeing her here?"

"Yes, it is," Katie said firmly. "I'm sorry Jax, I know this is a terrible position to put you in but I'm not going to waver on this. Okay?"

"Yeah," he rolled his jaw.

"Her schedule is on the fridge, last bottle and all that. She's fussy, she got her shots this morning so be prepared for that."

"Katie," his tone was softer now. "I want this to work out, I want everyone to be happy."

"For me, Tara's happiness isn't a concern." Katie grabbed her purse off the table. "I wish her no harm, Jax and I hope she's a happy person in general but in this situation, where Charlotte is concerned, I don't care how she feels about the choices I make for my daughter."