Chapter 5

"Yo," Happy's voice was higher, his tone expressing his surprise in seeing Katie at Hanna's that morning. "Thought you were outta here on a job?"

She nodded, gesturing to the few faux blonde locks peeking out of her bag. "I came back early."

"You gonna eat that?" He gestured to the plate of banana pancakes.

Shrugging, she pushed the plate toward him. "I'm not really hungry just needed to get my mind to stop racing before heading home." Her eyes darted to the waitresses behind the counter. "I felt bad not ordering anything."

Grabbing one with his hand and rolling it up, Happy took a bite and chewed, a smile forming on his face. "Shits good," he pointed to the rest. "Try one."

Katie laughed and ripped a piece off, popping it in her mouth and instantly smiled. "Shit, they are," she agreed. "I'm gonna gain more weight if I stay here much longer."

"When you heading out?" Happy seemed almost normal as they chatted and picked at her breakfast.

She shrugged, "No idea. Lumpy is old and I hate the idea of him being alone, especially without th gym."

"We can put his ass to work," Happy joked. "What you gonna do about your job?"

"I can find similar work here for the time being. It won't pay as much but the cost of living in Charming is crazy low compared to D.C."

"I can hire you," he rolled his shoulders. "I'm tense as fuck."

Katie smirked and nodded but didn't say anything. "I'm beat, buddy."

"Why don't you come around tonight?" He offered, pushing her hand away as she went to drop cash on the table.

She cocked her head to the side and looked at him before her lips turned into a deep frown. "Can't, sorry."

There was a loud knock on the window a few feet from Katie's booth. They both looked up to see Jax glaring at them, his jaw tight.

"Ah shit," Happy huffed. "Looks like my coffee stop ran too long."

Following him out, Katie took Jax's hand and gave it a squeeze. "Don't be mad, she asked quietly, "Please?"

"Why you gotta distract him?" Jax huffed as Happy went back to his bike, without any coffee.

"I don't have a lot of friends," she admitted, slightly annoyed. "Sorry, we were just talking."

"I've used 'just talking' before on girlfriends, even on my own goddamn mom," Jax chided. "He's got work to do, I know how that brain works, girl."

"Uh, no," she laughed. "I'm not a player, guys know what they're getting into with me," she punched his shoulder. "But yeah, we're the same in a lot of ways."

"Most guys know," Jax raised an eyebrow. "You coming tonight? My mom threw some shit together to raise money for Lumpy."

"In a day and a half?"

"You don't know Gemma," Jax laughed.

"Maybe," she shrugged as Happy and Tig sped by. "Have a good day, Jax."

He winked and nodded, "You too, Kate."

--

That evening the so called fundraiser, which really ended up as one giant party, raged on and on. It started off friendly enough; locals popping in, checking out the bikes and donating to a worthy and well known cause but it turned less than wholesome once the sun went down.

Katie moved through the crowd, dressed down in sandals, white shorts and a stylish top looking for anyone she knew.

"Hey," she saddled up beside an uncomfortable looking Tara. "Mind?"