Chapter 38

Katie arrived at Gemma's already annoyed. She'd been anxious about leaving Charlie and the evening with Happy at the clubhouse and the sudden change of plans was enough to almost set her off.

"Hey," Katie smiled at Jax as he welcomed her into her home. "What's up with the switch?"

"There's more baby stuff here for Charlotte," he explained, taking the baby from Katie, "And less for Abel to get into while she's busy with the little ones."

Katie nodded, the reasons were solidly valid, and followed him into the kitchen. "How was the run? I didn't expect you to be here."

"I had to come by," he sighed.

Seeing Tara in the laundry room, blood stained clothing in her hands, Katie understood much better. "Everyone okay?"

Jax smiled, hearing the concern in her voice, and nodded. "We are," he said with knowing look. "I gotta run, I'll see you at the clubhouse." Passing the baby back to Katie, he kissed both of them on the cheek before saying goodbye to Tara and the boys.

"Sorry," Tara forced a smile. "How are you?"

"I'm good." Katie said awkwardly. "Gemma gonna be here soon?"

"Should be," Tara said dismissively. "Don't worry, you can go on ahead if you want."

"No, I'm good," Katie sat at the table.

"You know, since Charlotte is my step-daughter, I could get her into the daycare at Saint Thomas, it's a really great program." Tara spoke as she fiddled around the kitchen but stole hidden glances at Katie every so often.

Hesitating, hoping to find a way to decline without sounding rude, Katie slowly shook her head to buy a few extra seconds. "Uh, no, thank you. I have a great nanny and my hours are kind of...odd, so the nanny really works out well for us."

Tara looked at Katie with a surprised expression. "A nanny, pricy," she laughed. "We had one when Abel was a baby but socialization is so good for them."

"She's a baby," Katie laughed, "She doesn't socialize. At all. Besides, I'm not really a fan of daycare for Charlotte while she's so young. I don't feel comfortable with it, which is why I found the nanny, she's been vetted, she's trustworthy and we really like her."

"Daycare isn't bad," Tara said defensively. "Thomas may be young but he likes it there."

"He tells you this?" Katie said with a snarky attitude. "Tara, I'm sure it's great," she said quickly before the conversation went sour. "I just don't think it'll work for me and Charlie."

"Did you talk to Jax about it?" She said, trying to drop her anger. "Did he meet the nanny, does he like her?"

Katie's back went up, annoyed by Tara's questions and how hard she was working to insert herself, via Jax, into the situation. "I didn't talk to Jax and he hasn't actually met her but he knows the setup and he hasn't said anything."

"Oh," she sighed, "You said we, I just assumed..."

"We as in me and Alec," Katie said. "He knows her former employer, she used to work for one of the partners there before his kids started middle school."

"What's the deal with that?" Turning to face Katie again, Tara looked at her with a smirk. "He's older but he's a handsome guy."

"A friend," Katie said forcefully. "Before I came back here it was going toward one of those platonic life partner situations but now with Happy warming up to the idea of whatever this is I'm not sure where he and I will end up. He'll be in California for another few months, at least while they prep for this big case."