Chapter 7

The next morning Happy went to Hanna's hoping to run into Katie but, disappointingly, she wasn't there. He didn't visibly react, first grabbing a coffee from the counter before sitting to stew in his jealousy. Back up in Oakland, Katie left Pope later than she would have normally but, even for a work situation, she had fun with him. He was smart and charming, a plus in her line of work, and, thankfully, Katie couldn't have asked for a more pleasant client.

She returned home, feeling better about taking the job than before, and showered before heading out to grab a coffee. She purposely avoided Hanna's, not wanting to see Happy and destroy her mood, but ended up running into Kozik.

"Hey," he smiled sunnily. "How are you?"

"Good," she was polite. "You?"

"Not bad," he shrugged. "How's Lumpy?"

"Fine," Katie shrugged. "I'm heading over to visit him now actually."

"Tell him we said hey," Kozik said as he prepared to leave. "See ya around, Katie."

She smiled and waved before paying for the coffee and heading out herself. Using her key, she stepped into her grandfather's and found him reading the newspaper with a glass of juice.

"Coffee delivery," she said happily. "Morning."

"Katie," he smiled. "I didn't think I'd see you today."

She rolled her eyes. "You say that every time I visit, Pop."

"Must be my memory," he stood and hugged her. "Sit, tell me what's new. Any weekend plans?"

--

"Hap here?" Katie asked as she arrived at Teller Morrow that afternoon after leaving Lumpy's.

"Out on a tow," Juice said quickly. "Should be back soon."

"Katie," Jax laughed as he noticed her. "How are ya?"

"Fine," she gave him a dirty look. "Tara told me about your little assumptions."

He scowled, "I was right though. I don't care, I didn't say anything, just that you got money and-"

"And I'm like you," she teased. "Except I get paid for getting laid."

"Shit," he laughed. "I thought you were gonna bitch me out."

"No, but I was wondering how she was with it? I need more friends than you assholes but I don't need judgement and bullshit."

Jax paused, "She was fine, she'll need to warm up to it. My mom might be more your speed, though."

"Hap told me all about Gemma," Katie laughed. "No offense, but I'll stick to your old lady."

"Alright," he pulled his phone out to give her the number. "Here, give her a call but don't make me regret it."

"Thank you, Prez." Katie winked at Jax and Happy pulled up looking more miserable than usual. "Hey, you okay?"

"Just hot," he nodded.

"Wanna get something to eat?" She offered, "My treat."

"I can't," he gestured back to the truck. "Shit ton of repos and I can't put em' off, it's good money for TM."

"Okay," she shrugged. "Call me later."

"Yup," he waved as she headed toward her car.

"What was that?" Jax asked Happy quietly. "We don't have any repos." When Happy didn't respond, Jax sighed heavily. "You've been distracted 'cause of her, off your goddamn game, but I'll take that shit over lies and apathy. Get your head together," Jax scolded.