Chapter 37

*A Few Days Later*

"It's good to see you," Lowen said politely as she greeted Tara outside her office, "Despite the circumstances."

Tara smiled and nodded, following Lowen into the office and being sure to close the door behind her. "You too," she replied, "I should tell you upfront that Jax doesn't know I'm here."

There was a look on the lawyer's face, one of suspicion and even some disapproval, but Lowen did not voice any concerns. "Okay," she said slowly as she sat behind her desk. "Have a seat," she gestured to the leather arm chair. "Start from the beginning."

Tara hated this part, the explanations and assumptions, the personal opinion Lowen would form concerning the situation that Tara would not be privy to and thus obsess over.

"Jax has a daughter," she said coolly. "She's just a few months old now. Charlotte Feldstein.

"Oh," clearly Lowen was taken aback.

"It's not what you're assuming," Tara said quickly. "He didn't cheat but that is not my story to tell." It wasn't but Tara wasn't sure who would even believe her if she tried, unless they saw the emotion Jax conveyed in his words they'd never think the horror was anything but an excuse he whipped up just for her.

"Okay," she didn't want the gory details. "You want to hammer out custody, I'm assuming? Support too?"

"Yes," Tara nodded. "I also wanted to know the likelihood of Jax getting custody."

"Sole custody?" Lowen asked, scribbling some notes down.

"Yes."

"Physical or legal?"

"Both," Tara replied.

Lowen paused for a moment.  "Well, the courts are certainly not as biased against fathers but there would have to be good reason to give Jax full custody if the mother doesn't agree to it."

"She won't," Tara sighed. "She'd never."

"Is she a good mother?" Lowen asked, looking up at Tara as she continued to write.

Tara nodded half heartedly. "She's not abusive or neglectful."

"I'm assuming there's a but?"

"There is," Tara chuckled a bit. "She's living out of a hotel with some guy, she's been there for a while now and I don't think she's been looking for a place."

"Some pay by the hotel place?" Lowen asked.

Tara shook her head, "No. Ritzy place, they have a suite."

"That won't do it," Lowen shook her head.

"She works at a...brothel," Tara said with disgust. "The place is legal, permits and all, but that has some moral implications, right?"

Lowen sighed heavily. "Depending on the Judge it may but no one is going to take a baby away from her mother for things like that." There was some hesitation before she continued with her thought. "And, Tara, to be honest, it's not as if Jax is the most upstanding citizen."

"I know," she said with disappointment. "I was hoping I could help with the image at least."

"You're not as big of a factor as the biological parents," Lowen dropped her pen. "I don't think there's much I can do here except help you come up with a fair, and legally binding, agreement."

"That's what I was afraid of," Tara's voice wavered. "Thank you, Lowen. I appreciate this."

"Of course," she smiled apologetically. "Good luck, I know it's never an easy situation. I'm always here if you have questions or something changes."