Chapter 58

Alright guys, I've been pretty sick this week but here's a shortie for you! Enjoy! Xoxo

"Holy shit."

Kate's jaw dropped in awe as she and Happy stepped into the reception ballroom hand in hand. It was gorgeous. High ceilings, a massive dining area with marble flooring, tall windows with flowing cobalt blue drapes. The bar was long, longer than even she'd ever seen while the dance floor and stage had natural wood floors and bright neon lights flashing with the music.

"What?" He asked her, surprised by her reaction. "Aren't you all about this classy shit?"

"I mean yeah," she laughed, "But this is incredible. I've never been at this level. What a bitch," she grumbled.

"Thought this was your friend?"

Katie sneered, "Meh. You gotta have friends when you do what we do, we watch each other's back,  it I never really liked her."

It was a side of Kate Happy had never seen but despite his surprise he found it comical. She was usually so easy going and inclusive, he wondered exactly what happened between them. The two had drinks and relaxed, laughing and talking in a relaxed manner they never experienced before. Happy didn't try to involve himself with the conversation between Katie and the others at their table, he barely even listened, but their attention was quickly drawn to the same thing.

"Hey," said a soft voice behind them. "Kate?"

Katie turned and gasped, "Hey! How are you?"

Without acknowledging him in the slightest, Katie chatted with the woman at length but he didn't mind. He didn't care about them, he didn't want to know their names nor would be ever remember them and Katie knew that about him. Pulling out his burner he sent Jax a text and waited impatiently for a reply that would never come.

"How old is she now?" Happy heard the woman ask Katie as he moved on from Jax to Bobby.

"Anything?" Happy asked anxiously.

"He got picked up. Lawyer's with him now. Enjoy it, brother."

Knowing what that meant, Happy grabbed Katie's hand and gently tugged her away. "Sorry," Katie stammered. "I'll call you!" Scurrying to match his pace she looked over at him. "What?"

"Nothing," he shrugged. "You don't give two shits about these people." He led her to the bar and ordered them drinks. "I wanna have fun not bullshit with assholes."

"You're so romantic," she giggled, sipping her drink. "Thank you for coming with me."

"Sure," he shrugged. "Even with the suit I don't really fit in."

"Please, you're not the only gangster here."

"I'm the only one who looks like it," he chuckled.

"Yeah, you got me there," Katie joked.

"I love you," he said ominously. "All this shit is gonna go away, I promise."

Katie smiled, "I know."

"You trust me?" He asked her, his eyes locked on hers while a grin crossed his face.

"More than anyone," she said timidly. "Why?"

"This is getting boring," he admitted. "Let's have some fun."

"That sounds dangerous," she groaned as he led her out the doors to the valet. He handed her a ticket, one she didn't know he had as they took a car service and didn't drive themselves. "Hap, what are you doing?"

"Shh," he chided. Moments later a black sports car pulled up, the engine rumbling smoothly, and the valet quickly got out then opened Katie's door. "Thanks," Happy said to him.

"Not exactly the kind of grand theft I would have expected from you," she said nervously clicking her seatbelt. "Don't you usually laugh at guys who drive these kinds of cars?"

"Yeah, but they're still fun." With a laugh, he revved the engine before squealing away from the wedding venue at top speed.

"My sweet girl," Jax sighed heavily as he held Charlotte close to his chest. "I'm gonna miss you."

She didn't know what her father was saying but she still reacted happily to the affection from him. Charlotte cooed and beamed at him, her face changing to look slightly more like him than before.

"I always wanted you," he whispered as Tara entered the living room.

"Hey," she said sadly. "Are you hungry?"

"Nah," he said dismissively. "I'm gonna drop her back with Anna soon."

"Is Happy going to tell Kate?" Tara asked, a bit forcefully. "We all really had to talk her into leaving Charlie here. Doesn't she suspect anything?"

Jax shook his head. "He won't tell her. She'll do something stupid, even Alec thinks so."

"Yeah, I think we all would," she said quietly to herself. "I'll call Anna and let her know you're on your way."

Nodding, Jax turned his attention back to his daughter and prepared to take her back home.

"We should head back," Katie laughed as they slowed to a stop at a red light. "Oh, you're not going to run this one?"

"Wanted to give you a break," he joked, seeing her hair wind whipped and her cheeks flushed. "Wasn't sure you could handle it."

"Oh please," she scoffed. The light turned and Happy sped off although at a considerably slower speed than before. "This was amazing," she grinned.

"Wanna go again?"

"No," she laughed. "We're pressing our luck as it is."

"Alright," he said, somewhat disappointed. Turning down a small side street, Happy found a quiet and perfectly deserted little spot under some trees and pulled over. "Come here," he reached over and helped her climb onto his lap.

"Here?" She said with a flirty giggle.

"Yep," his hands slipped under her dress. "Right here."

Do you guys want a sequel eventually or want me to just keeping writing it all in one book? Let me know! Thanks for reading!