Chapter 28

After Lumpy's funeral Jax and Tara returned home, both stewing in somber moods from the tear filled services they'd attended. Jax, in his usual attire, watched Tara sit to remove her heels.

"I'm gonna head out, got some club shit."

Tara swallowed and looked up at him. "What's going on between you and Katie?"

Jax stopped on his way out, frozen for a moment by the question, and finally looked her in the eyes. "She's a good friend."

"I've never," she stood up, "Heard you call another woman a friend, Jax."

He nodded, "I know but she is."

"What kind of friend goes to her hotel the night she returns? Shouldn't Happy have been there? You know, her ex?"

His face turned down, having been caught, and he suddenly became tense. "She needed some advice."

"I saw you with her at the hospital, too, right when Lumpy died. The way you held her, Jax, and today after the funeral. You thought you were hidden, right? You weren't. I saw you."

Closing his eyes, Jax huffed. "Katie and I are friends, Tara. We're close. I'm sorry."

"You care about her. I can tell."

"Yeah I do," he admitted.

"What happened?" Tara pushed for the truth. "I know she's some nasty whore, Jax, I know how you guys are."

"She's not a whore," he corrected Tara.

Her eyes grew wider as she scoffed. "Jesus Christ."

"Look," he started to speak but she cut him off.

"No," Tara snapped. "Katie sold herself for money, she's worse than Ima, Jax, but at least you look at her with disgust."

"Ima is a whore," he said angrily. "Kate isn't."

"Are you sleeping with her?" Tara asked, no longer tiptoeing around it.

"No," Jax said adamantly.

"I don't believe you."

It was crushing to hear her say the words but he knew she had her reasons as well as his own inappropriate behavior with Katie to go on. He just looked at her, teary-eyed, and said nothing.

"I have the conference in Seattle," she said sadly. "I'll take the boys, leave a day early, we need some space here."

"I love you, Tara. I've loved you since I was 16."

"I know," she whimpered. "I'll see you in a few days, Jax"

--

Not long after Tara left with the boys and the nanny, Jax, feeling he had no one else to talk to, ended up at Katie's hotel suite. Alec answered with Charlie in his arms.

"Katie is in the shower," he explained. "She said she needed some time to relax after the funeral."

"Yeah, I'll wait," Jax reached out and Charlie leaned toward him. "Hey baby girl," he said softly.

Alec watched Jax closely as he stepped into the hotel room. "I was just heading out, I was going to take Charlie to work with me to give Katie some peace."

"Oh," Jax was disappointed. "You take her to work?"

"On site daycare," he laughed. "I assure you it's top of the line."

Jax nodded and moved slowly back to Alec as he stood between the door and the couch. He kissed Charlie's cheek and handed her back to Alec. "Thanks for helping her."