Chapter 8

"Juicy," Jax snapped at Juice, "You're with me and Opie."

"Huh?" Looking up from his coffee, wearing a confused expression, Juice couldn;t imagine what Jax wanted with him this morning. "What's up?"

"Someone needs your help," Jax laughed.

"Me?" He asked, skeptical and clearly anxious.

Opie scoffed, "Jesus, you're like a fuckin' chihuahua."

"I think that's racist," Juice cracked back.

"Pope asked us for a favor," Jax said simply. "Wants to borrow our tech guy."

"That's you," Opie joked.

"Shouldn't he have his own?"

Jax and Opie nodded as they waved for him to follow them outside. "Come on," Opie said to him, "We'll get the full story."

"Hap," Jax called out as they stepped out into the scorching heat. "Want to take a ride to Oaktown?"

"You need me?" He asked, clearly not interested in the trip. "I'll go if you need another body."

"Nah," Jax waved him off. "You got something to do?"

"Meetin' Katie, ya know after the run," Happy shrugged. "I can cancel."

"Go on," Jax said casually. "It's all good."

Watching as they got on their bikes, Happy wondered if he should go until he received a text from Katie. She was early and already waiting for him and that alone dashed any question from his mind.

"Hey," he grumbled as he joined her at their usual booth. "This for me?" Happy pointed to the coffee on the table.

She nodded and smiled, "It is."

"Thanks," he smiled.
"You're welcome," she laughed at his unintentional awkward crassness. "How are you?"

"Okay," he shrugged. "You?"

"I'm good," she laughed. "What's up? You seem quieter than usual."

"I'm fine," he assured her.

"Why didn't you tell me about the run?" She asked, taking a sip from her mug with her eyes locked on his. "I stopped by but you were just, gone."

"Last minute," he explained. "I wasn't going to go at first."

She nodded as he spoke, "Mm hmm."

"What?"

"Nothing," she laughed. "Jesus, Hap. I love your hardness and your darkness but this is boring. Lighten up."

"I didn't want to tell you," he admitted. "I just needed to get out of town."

"Thank you," she smiled. "DId it help?"

"I think so," he waved to the waitress as she came by to refill their coffees.

"Banana pancakes?" She asked, sure they'd order two stacks as usual.

"Yes, please," Katie said sweetly.

"Let me get some bacon too," Happy added.

"I will," the older waitress smiled before walking away.

"Protein," Katie laughed. "What's your week like? I have dinner plans with my grandfather but maybe we can do something?"

"No work?" He asked, feigning disinterest.

She shook her head, "I don't have anything booked but something could come up."

Chatting for a bit longer they both quieted when their food was brought out. Katie kept glancing over at Happy, watching him eat while gauging his mood.
"What?" He didn't even look up when he spoke. "Why you staring at me?"