Chapter 13

Sorry guys, this is a hard one. Don't hate me!

--

Jax and Juice were released, as promised, on Thursday and left a stoic Happy to wait the weekend out alone. He was fine, or so he said, with the choice and understood but the more he stared at the cinderblock walls, stewing, the more he thought about Katie.

On Friday evening he was treated to another tune up, two guards taking turns as they kicked and punched him over and over. It wasn't a serious beatdown but enough to keep him in the infirmary which was probably safer than alone with the other prisoners.

On the outside, lives were lived as usual for the most part but everyone, Katie included, felt an anxiety looming over them. She changed and got all dolled up, ready for her standing date with Pope, but she missed Happy. He was never far from her mind, especially since he was locked up, but heartsick wasn't a good look so she swallowed her sorrow, finished with her hair and make-up and left for dinner.

"You look gorgeous," Pope greeted her at the table. "Tonight is a special night."

"Is it?" She laughed sweetly as he pulled out her chair.

"It is," he sat across from her. "Dinner and a show."

She drew her head back and smiled, "I'm impressed."

"You will be," he winked.

They ate and drank happily, Katie was still completely clueless as to Pope's role in Happy's incarceration, and as he paid the check and they left, Pope kept his light mood up for her. They went back to his office, patched and painted to cover the reminders of the shooting.

"What time is the show?" She asked, placing her purse down on his desk and perching herself on the corner.

"Soon," he said, wedging himself between her legs and pressing his palms on the desk behind her. "Do you like our arrangement?"

"I do," she cooed, her hands fiddling with his belt buckle.

"Just think if this wasn't business?" Tucking her hair behind her ears, he smiled menacingly before kissing her with a painful amount of force.

"I know baby," she pulled back from him. "If I knew then what I know now maybe I would have just quit for you."

"Tell me you love me," he whispered into her ear.

Katie wasn't taken aback but hid it well. She pulled away again and looked him in the eyes. "I love you, D. You're the only man in my life anymore."

Pope smiled and nodded, kissing her again, before grabbing her wrist and pulling her behind his desk. "I love a powerful woman," he pushed her into his chair. "Too bad you have none and you don't even know it."

"What?" Her chest tightened, gasping a little, as Pope opened his laptop and clicked at the keyboard until a video feed came up. "I have to go," she stammered. "I'm not comfortable, this is over the line and you know what that means, Damon."

"Katie," he sighed, "Sit and stop."

She leaned back in the chair, gripping the armrests with all her might, and nodded. "You know my name?"

"I"m not an idiot," he said dismissively. "Bring him in," Pope called out loud to no one in particular. The office door opened and Jax suspiciously entered the office with Juice following close behind. "Gentlemen, good evening."

Katie looked at the floor when Jax's eyes fell on her. "What is this, Pope?"

"This is what's going to make everything right."