Chapter 39

"Why did I agree to this?" Katie asked herself as she practically crawled out of Happy's bed the morning after the party. He was still sleeping, snoring loudly and stinking of alcohol, as she dragged her feet to the bathroom. "You better be awake when I get back in there," she called out to him.

"Shut up," he grumbled into his pillow.

"You that hung over?" She asked, joining him in bed again.

"No," he rolled over to face her, "I don't get hangovers anymore, I'm just fucking tired. You weren't even that drunk by the time we got back"

"Well, I'm hungover anyway," she complained. Happy winked at her and placed a fleeting kiss on her cheek before heading to the bathroom himself. "And wishing you could come with me today."

"Sorry," he hollered out to her. "I gotta go with Bobby, pickin' up some shit for his kid."

"He needs a chaperone?" She smirked at him as he came back into the bedroom.

Happy shook his head. "One time we went up there some local assholes caused some shit, just a precaution."

"Oh, okay," she said, "If it's a safety issue then I guess I don't mind."

"You can't wait?"

"Ugh," she rolled her eyes. "It's the end of the month and most places only starts leases the first week so I'd rather move sooner than later, you know?"

"If you wait you might change your mind?" He asked, suggesting she wasn't as sure as she had been the night before.

Katie gave him a harsh look. "No. I just don't want to view places this weekend and then have to wait six weeks to move. I want to be settled, Hap. I take forever to make decisions but once I do, I just do it and I don't want to wait."

"Where ya gonna look?"

"I have a bunch of places in mind," she shrugged. "I may have been looking online the other day."

Happy nodded, "Jax probably found ya something too."

"Don't be like that," she huffed. "He said he knows a realtor anyway, he's going to introduce us, so in case I buy, instead of renting, he can help. Besides, he's Charlie's father and my friend, please don't do this, Hap."

"I don't have to like it," he shrugged, speaking defiantly, "But I won't bust your balls over it."

Katie smiled and moved closer but before she could even touch him, Charlie cried from the pack and play in the corner of the room.

"There's a kid in my house," he groaned. "One thing I didn't think I'd ever fucking hear in my house was a baby."

She gave him a playfully dirty look before hurrying over to the baby. "I couldn't leave her there. I just have such a weird feeling about Tara, I know it's crazy."

Happy just shrugged. "Woman's intuition or whatever."

"Yeah," she sighed as she changed the baby. "I'm gonna feed her and make some coffee. Want some?"

"Nah," he groaned as he stretched. "I gotta go. I was supposed to meet Bobby twenty minutes ago."

"You're the worst," she laughed. "Call me when you're home, we'll meet up."

On her way out of the room she kissed Happy quickly and left him to get ready to start his day.

It wasn't long after he left that she threw some clothes on and packed up the baby to meet Jax at his place. She waited in the car for Jax, engine still running, hoping to avoid Tara.