Chapter 13

Brook and Marzia sat in front of the screen, staring at Jaha and Abby. Both wishing that Regina was there as well.

"Seeing that the three turned into a two. I am assuming Miss Erwin passed?"

"Uh..." Marzia stuttered, her eyes moving to meet Brook's.

Brook shook her head, "No, it's uh... complicated."

Abby moved in, "Could you please bring Clarke in-"

"You know she doesn't want to talk to you," Marzia says.

Brook pursed her lips, "Is there anything important you guys have to say?"

"How are you doing?" Kane comes in and questions as Abby leaves disappointed, "How are you surviving, I mean?"

"We're doing everything we can to prepare here. We're gathering nuts and berries, curing meats, digging for roots, but the truth is, we'll freeze before we starve." Brook answers, noticing Jasper beckon Marzia away. She sighs, now remembering why she hated couples.

"There's good news on that front. According to civil defense plans from before the war, there's an old emergency aid depot not far from the landing site. Here are the coordinates."

"In addition to supplies, it could provide shelter for the hundred and for the citizens coming down from the Ark."

Brook nods, typing down what Kane told her on her iPhone, "And what makes you think it's intact?"

"It was designed to withstand nuclear warfare."

"All right." Brook says, "It's worth a shot. I'll tell Clarke and she can go."

"Chancellor, I have to object. Project Exodus is underway. The kids should sit tight in their camp until the first dropship launches."

"Even if everything goes without a hitch, the hundred would die from exposure before relief arrives. I'd like a moment with Brook alone, please, and I know there's a line of parents waiting to talk to their kids."

Brook leaned back in the chair, the headphones pressing against her earrings, "What did you want to talk to me about?"

"Your injuries." Jaha says, not taking into consideration how much it would bother her, "Were those inflicted by the Grounders."

"No." Brook states, her face becoming stoic, "This is a camp full of juvenile delinquents."

"Are you saying that these kids have been injuring each other? Make a list-"

"That won't be necessary." Brook quickly says, "These people have been..." She paused, knowing she'd have to lie, "-taken care of."

"You'd need to take someone with you to the depot. Your best choice would be Clarke." Jaha says realizing that Brook would no longer talk about it. She had a scar on her cheek, it was light and small, but still visible enough for people to see.

"I'll ask her." Brook rubbed her hands together, "Is that all?"

"Yes, that is all." Jaha grabbed a list, "Next to talk to their parents is Dax, so would you please tell him to come forth."

"Will do." Brook walked out of the tent, searching for Dax, "Hey, your parents want to talk." She caught sight of Clarke's hair, "Hey! Clarke!" She jogged up to meet her, "So Jaha has a mission for us."

"Anything to get out of this camp." She states, eyes falling on Finn's tent.

Brook nods, "Cool, we'll just pack our-"