Chapter 21

"I just heard Murphy has Jasper."

"Yeah. The south foxhole done?"

"What?" Brook says in disbelief.

Octavia rolls her eyes, "Bellamy, my friend's in there with a killer."

"O, look around. No one's working. If the grounders attack us right now, we're all dead."

Octavia scoffs going to the door, "Murphy! Murphy, if you even touch Jasper, I swear to God, you're dead."

"Octavia I got this."

"Really? Because it doesn't look like you're doing anything about it."

Raven jogged over to them, "Bellamy, you were right. There's a loose panel on the back. If I can pop it, we can get in through the floor."

"Good." Bellamy nodded, "Do it."

"I'm coming with you," Brook says following Raven to the back of the dropship.

"Sorry." Octavia apologizes.

"Murphy, I know you can hear me. All our ammo and food is in the middle level. You know that. You're leaving us vulnerable to an attack. I can't let that happen."

"Yeah, well, in case you haven't noticed, you're not exactly in control right now."

"Come on, Murphy. You don't want to hurt Jasper. You want to hurt me. So what do you say? How about you trade him for me?"

Octavia heard this and grabbed her brother's arm, "No."

Bellamy moved away so Octavia's hand would fall to her side, "All you have to do is let him go, and I'll take his place."

There was a long pause until Murphy spoke, "How?"

"Bellamy, if you do this, he'll kill you." Octavia pleaded, never wanting to see her brother's dead body.

"If I don't, he'll kill Jasper." Bellamy moved back to the walkie-talkie, "Simple. You open the door, I walk in, he walks out."

The dropship doors begin to open, "Just you, Bellamy, unarmed."

Bellamy handed his gun to Octavia, "Take this."

"10 seconds or I'll put one in Jasper's leg. One..."

"Raven and Brook will find a way to get you out," Octavia reassures him.

Bellamy turned to her, "I can handle Murphy. Get everyone back to work. The grounders are still coming."

"- 4... 5..."

"I'm here."

Brook and Raven tugged at the panel, Jasper close behind them. Brook stuck her head through the hole, she heard hisses, then crawled into the slot. Raven and Jasper following her in.

Raven pauses, staring at all the wires and everything in awe, "Very cool."

"Stop thinking like a mechanic and find me something to shoot through."

"Well, this mechanic is gonna hotwire the door."

Brook lifted her hand up to her mouth, "You guys need to whisper if Murphy hears us we're screwed."

"There's the hatch." Jasper points out, making Raven and Brook glance at them.

"Locks from above. Forget it. I give you an order, you follow it, right?" Brook crawled then finally moved up, and looked around at all the wires.