Chapter Fourteen

****************************************Roxanne************************************

“She not a stripper,” Erik said rolling his eyes at me. He was really giving this performance all he had. “Why would you want them to think you’re a stripper?”

“Umm, they’re attractive and capable of lifting their body weight, and next to being a firefighter it’s the only job you get to slide down a pole.”-

“I wonder if strippers pay income taxes,” Morgan said texting someone and giggling to herself.

“Whatever,” Erik said.

“Okay, so I’m going to do a series of things that may seem odd to you, but trust me. I’m not that crazy,” I said looking at all of them. Zoey looked like she was already convinced I was crazy, and I’m sure Erik helped put that notion in her head. It turned on my iPod and synced it with the car’s system. Before every show I listen to my Kanye Drake mix, and it helps me get in the zone. I usually stop with Power by Kanye West. Like Rockey and Eye of the Tiger it’s my fight song. Tonight’s mix started with Look At Me Now for some strange reason, then Say What’s Real by Drake.

“I think we should change the setlist,” I said looking to Morgan. “I really don’t feel in the mood to do the routine from last week.”

“You do realize we’re two hours late right?” she asked looking at me as if I were crazy.

“Yeah well we should switch it up. What do you think,” I asked her.

“I think you want to give everyone a new reason to hate you, as if the previous million weren’t enough.”

“No one hates me, and it’s our show why would it matter.”

“Um, it’s customary for the band and backup singers to know what their playing,” she laughed at me. “You can do whatever you like next time. I’m sure Miles will let you.”

“Come on… You know you want to spontaneity is a virtue an audience really appreciates. Right Erik,” I asked him for back up.

“I don’t know,”-

“Translation he thinks I’m right and he doesn’t want to hurt your feelings,” I told her.

“Don’t listen to her”-

“Um if you didn’t agree with me you would have said it”-

“I don’t know if I agree with either of you.”

I glanced back at him. “Bullshit.”

Stark laughed he and Zoey were really watching Morgan and I. I guess it was because Zoey didn’t like me. And Stark really found me amusing. The kid was a real easy laugh. “Will, you drive like a person with common sense as in EYES ON THE ROAD!” Erik yelled at me.

“I’m an amazing drive. Driving is like my sixth senses.”

“You have a lead foot,” he laughed. It wasn’t a sound of pleasure, but frustration.

I eased up on the gas, “I sure is sorry Mrs. Daisy Imma hoping yous don’t take no offense to me,” I said looking at him in the rearview mirror.

“You’re terrible. Can’t you see you’re embarrassing him in front of his friends,” Morgan said hitting me.

“Well”-

“Listen to your music,” she said turning the radio up again.

“Oh, snaps. Call Cory,” I said to the system.

“Hey” a voice said loud in the car.

“Hey Core can you put track eight first?”

“Like have it start at eight, or switch eight and one.”

“Switch eight and one,” I said.

“Okay, anything else?”

“Have a mic at the door, and set up the lounge for me,” I said changing to Power.

“Sure thing,” he said and hung up.

“Please drive like a normal person,” Erik begged from the sit right behind me.

“You’re such a baby,” I said. It wasn’t long before we had reached the club. Cory gave my mic to the valet and I was all set to make my grand entrance. “Morgan take them to the lounge,” I said running off through the front entrance.

The club was quiet as I made my way to my marker. The music was starting and I wanted to give Morgan another second before I started. I signaled them to get in their pistions and the adreline rush came over me.

To be or not to be

Not

Hold Up, bring the beat back

Stop, I ain't ready yet

Wait, let me fix my hair (yes, yes)

Yes mam (yes mam) Yes

Erik was on stage before I made my way through the crowd. So he’d honor the promise he made to Morgan. I was totally going to make him regret that. Morgan had the next few songs all to herself and I was just there for moral support, but pay back was coming.