Chapter Twenty-three

*************************************Zoey*****************************************************************

“I want to believe Roxanne, but she’s hiding something,” I said to Stark. We were in the rec room getting ready for our first Dark Daughters and Son ritual since we’ve been back at school.

“I think you’re over reacting. Sooner or later we’d know if she was pregnant or not. I’m sure it wouldn’t be easy to hide something like that,” Stark said being rational.

“I just don’t feel right about this. I don’t think she is being completely open with us?” I said as Erik loomed over behind me.

“Who you talking?” he asked helping Stark hang the black drape with the stars on it. Roxanne thought it would look nice when we did the circle.

“Nothing,” I said going to set up the altar.

“If you don’t want to tell me you don’t have to,” he laughed looking over at me. His smile was as beautiful as ever. “Z, if you don’t want to lead the ceremony I’m sure Stevie Rae or Aphrodite could,” He said assuming I had too much on my plate, which was true.

“I’m fine,” I said smiling over to him.

“You’re not telling me something,” he inquired with a smile.

“It’s not a big deal,” I shrugged going over to Stark. “Can you hang these over there?” I asked him.

“Sure,” he said looking at Erik for a moment.

“Stark, should I be worried?” he asked him.

“Ask Zo,” he said leaving our conversation.

“Just tell me,” he said leaning against the wall.

“I don’t want you to get mad at me,” I said turning from him.

“What if I promise not to,” he said turning me. The smile on his lips made me crack.

“I think Roxanne is lying,” I said and his face dropped.

“Why would you say that?” he whispered.

“I promised her I wouldn’t tell you,” I reassured him.

“If she was I’d know. I know her and she wouldn’t lie about something that big,” he said sure of himself.

“Look, I don’t know if she was lying about being knocked-up but I do know she was hiding something, and we need to find out what,” I said looking into his eyes.

“Zoey this isn’t simple. If she’s lying, in her mind it’s the right thing to do. So if you’re going to get the truth you have to prove her wrong, which is pretty hard to do,” he smiled at me. “It’s pretty much a suicide mission.”

“Help me,” I urged him.

“I’ll try, but if she wants anyone to know anything she’d tell them,” he said waving to Stark on his way out.

**

“Roxy thanks for helping decorate,” I said pulling her to the side.

“Look Z,” she didn’t need to say anything else. I knew she was upset with me. “You didn’t have to go to Erik like that,” she whispered.

“I’m worried about you and he is too. We both know you’re hiding something. Don’t keep secretes. When they come out it always hurts more,” I said. I knew firsthand how much secrets could hurt a friendship and relationship, especially with Erik.

“Thanks for the advice Z, but I knew what I’m doing, please trust me?” she asked. I didn’t want to let this go, but Neferet had just walked in with Thanatos and I knew we couldn’t talk here.