Chapter Eighteen

Zoey POV

“I can’t believe she completed the change so quickly,” Damien said once we were in the tunnels.

“Here tattoo was weird, gold and silver. What was that?” Aphrodite asked.

“I liked it, it fit her,” Stark said yawning.          

“She has an affinity for spirit,” I said and everyone looked to me.

“Is that what knocked Erik on his ass?” Stark asked with a laugh at the memory.

“Yeah, I felt it,” I said looking at Damien. “What’s wrong?”

“She’s just a little strange is all? Having an affinity for spirit is like the fifth inconceivable thing to happen to her,” he shrugged.  

“I was thinking the same thing,” Darius added. “Having an affinity for spirit is a little more likely than having it for all five elements. But still very questionable.”

“Do you think Neferet knows about her affinity?” Damien asked looking at me.

“I think she knows as much about Roxanne as we do,” I said looking over at Stevie Rae who just entered the room. I assumed the sun was up, and Rephaim gone.

“I think we should get some rest and talk to her and Erik at school tomorrow,” she said looking at Stark who was practically sleeping.

“I think that’s a good idea,” I said agreeing with her. Everyone went to their rooms and I collected Stark and we started to my room.

“I still think you’re over reacting,” I said to Aphrodite. She was making Lenobia, and I question Erik about Roxanne. She was suspicious that they were hiding something from us, and I kindda thought so too. However, I didn’t need to know anything about Erik, because he was the least of my concerns.

“We’ll see who’s overacting,” she said going to knock on his door when it swung open. In the door way Erik was just wearing a pair of pajama pants, and he had an arm draped around Roxanne’s waist. And Roxanne had on the same sweats she had been wearing the night before. “Like I said,” Aphrodite smiled at me.

“Hey guys,” Erik smiled as Roxanne looked around uncomfortably. It looked like both of them wanted to be anywhere but in this very awkward moment. Just like two kids caught with their pants down.

“Is there something you two would like to tell us?” Lenobia asked. Her voice was strong and forceful without seeming scary.

“Come in,” Erik said holding the door open. “How much do you want to know?” he asked as soon as the door was closed.

“Why Roxanne? You could do SO MUCH BETTER,” Aphrodite said trying to reason with her.

“I’m pretty okay with my decision,” she said looking into Erik’s eyes. You could tell some silent I love you passed between them. Erik and I never had anything like that. Not that I am jealous or anything. At least I don’t want to be. “Lying to you guys was his idea though,” she said throwing him under the bus.

“What did you lie about?” Lenobia asked him.

“Just my relation to Roxanne, and well she’s not that crazy,” he shrugged.

“Is that all?” she asked looking between the two of them.

“Yeah,” they said together. 

“Why did you do it?” I asked meeting eyes with Erik. When he looked at me some weird feeling turned my stomach. It was like him walking into the cafeteria with Venus all over again.