Falling Petals of a Blue Rose

Have you ever wondered what it means to truly love or be loved by someone? Does it mean something more than just longing to spend time with them? When you talk to each other, how do you feel? Do you feel happy, excited, anxious, or do you feel nervous, timid, or even afraid? Does your heart beat out of control while your stomach becomes tight? And when you’re apart, do you think about them often? So much so that you want to see them no matter what? Or what if you can’t find that special someone? Do you feel empty, lonely, or just plain miserable? Do you feel like you’re missing so much in your life? Or do you just try to forget about it and move on with your life? But, one can’t help but wonder, can you truly give up on the path of finding love? Do you really think you’ll be just as happy without it? After all, life is full of unexpected twists and turns. You never know just what is waiting for you around the corner. For all you know, it could very well be that there’s a special someone who wants to spend the rest of their life with you. All you have to do is keep looking until you’ve found each other.....

   As the morning sun peeked through the window, a radio on a small desk next to a ruffled up bed started beeping. Out from under the covers, a hand reached out to turn it off. As the covers rolled down, a young woman raised her arms high stretching and yawning. Putting on her slippers, she walked over to open the window and let in the fresh air.

“Ah, what a beautiful morning.” She smiled as she basked in the sunlight. Putting on her robe, she walked downstairs for breakfast. There was a man reading the morning paper, a woman turning some eggs, and a young boy chomping down some bacon.

“Morning Dad, Mom, Conner.”

“Well, look who finally crawled out of bed this morning.”

“Good morning, dear.”

“Hey ya, sis!” Smiling, she took her seat next to her father.

“Got in a little late last night didn’t you, Marisa?” Marisa sipped her morning hot cocoa.

“Sorry, Dad. I was about ready to leave when I was called over for a small emergency. Mrs. Sampson cut herself and they were having trouble getting the bleeding to stop.”

“Oh dear, is she alright now?” Her mother asked as she handed her a plate of eggs and toast.

“Yeah, she’s fine. While she was having dinner, her knife got away from her and she sliced her hand. Thanks to her vascular disease, the wound wasn’t clotting very well.” At hearing that, Conner had shivers crawl down his spine.

“Yuck! Come on, sis. Do you have to be so descriptive?” Marisa gave him a sneer.

“It’s not my fault you’re so sensitive.” Conner groaned as he just kept stuffing bacon in his mouth.

“Alright, that’s enough you two. Finish your breakfast so you can get ready on time.” Their mother, Donna, said as she sipped her coffee. After breakfast, Marisa got ready for work while Conner got ready for school. Before long, everyone was ready for another day. After saying bye to their parents, Conner and Marisa hopped into her car. As they drove away, Conner brought up the same question he brought up almost everyday.

“When will I get to drive?” Marisa smiled and rolled her eyes.

“When you get your own car which won’t happen till you get your license.”

“When will that be?”

“Probably the same it was for me. When you turn 18.”

“Aw, but that’s 6 years away. Besides, you were driving Dad’s car when you were barely 16.” He moaned.

“Only because he was right there in the car with me and that was only to places less than 5 miles away. Whether you like it or not, you’re just going to have to be patient. You can’t always have what you want right away. Your time will come, little brother.” Conner folded his arms and scowled. Marisa couldn’t help but giggle to herself. She remembered doing the exact same thing when she was his age. As they drove through town, a big school bus passed them. Conner hollered and waved at his friends.