Chapter 8

Before Marisa knew it, a whole week had passed by since the incident. By burying herself in her work as a doctor, she was able to take her mind off of everything. During that afternoon, she was running a CAT-scan on Mrs. Sampson. After that was done, she had her lift some light weights to help strengthen her muscles. Marisa reviewed the results.

“Well, everything looks good. Your blood count is much better than it was the last time and your pulse seems to be getting stronger too. I can tell you haven’t been skipping out on your medicine or neglecting your exercises. Even your bones seem to be getting stronger.”

“It’s all thanks to you, doctor. I haven’t felt this good in years. I only wish there was something I could do for you.” Marisa smiled.

“All you have to do is focus on your recovery. A healthy smile on a strong body is all the thanks a doctor could hope for.” Mrs. Sampson smiled. With her tests done for the day, one of the attendants helped her head back to her room. Wiping the sweat off her head, Marisa sighed with relief.

“Well, Chelsea, what do I have left for the day?”

“You’re all clear, doctor. Everything’s been taking care of.”

“Great, than I’m going to head to my office. I still have a little paper work left over.” With that, Marisa walked towards the elevator. When she walked into her office, she spotted something on her desk. It was a pretty white vase with a blue rose in it.

“What’s this?” Walking over to it, she read the tag wrapped around the vase.

“Your healing hands are as soft and delicate as a rose. Your smile brightens everything around you as the sun glows.” Marisa wasn’t sure what to think. There wasn’t a name on the card or anything. Still, she thought it was sweet. She smiled as she smelled the beautiful flower. There was always something about the smell of a rose that just struck at every corner of her being. It seemed to revive her in ways nothing else could. It was such a simple yet wonderful thing.                 

   That night, Marisa was enjoying a nice dinner with her family.

“Hey Mom, a bunch of my friends are getting together this weekend for a sports party at Kyle’s house. Can I go?” Conner asked.

“Well, I suppose so, dear. What will you be doing?”

“Like I said, it’s a sports party. We’re gonna play football, basketball, baseball, soccer, and all kinds of other sports. After all, Kyle’s back yard is the size of a football field.”

I see. Well, I don’t have a problem with that. Do you honey?”

“Nope. After all, sports is the perfect thing for a boy his age. Just be sure not to cry if you lose.” Conner blushed at his father’s comment.

“I will not!” Everyone laughed as Conner slouched down in his chair. Just then, the phone rang.

“I’ll get it.” Marisa stood up and walked over to the phone.

“Hello?”

“What’s up, Macy?”

“May May? Not much I guess. What are you up to?”

“Well, you have a day off tomorrow, right?”

“Uh yeah.”

“Cool! Than how about going on a shopping spree with me? We haven’t done that in ages.”

“Tomorrow? Shopping? Sure that sounds good.”

“Great! Meet me at the usual place at 11:00 sharp.”