Chapter 7

The next morning, Marisa ended up driving Conner to school on her way to work. As they drove through town, Conner was frantically trying to finish his homework which he forgot to do last night.

“Oh man! Mrs. Perry’s gonna kill me! The last time someone forgot to do their homework, she made him stay and do it everyday after school for a week!” Marisa chuckled.

“Well, that’s what you get when you stay up late playing those video games of yours. Besides, when I was your age, one of the most important rules of the house was work first play last. I’m pretty sure that rule hasn’t changed.” Conner swallowed.

“So what happened when you forgot?”

“Nothing, I always did my homework as soon as I got home. But if I had to guess, I’m sure you won’t be allowed to play video games for a while.” Conner freaked as he frantically worked through his math problems. Marisa couldn’t help but chuckle as he looked like he was about to have a nervous breakdown. Just ahead was a stop light. As Marisa was getting ready to drive through a green light, she looked to the side to see a car speeding towards her. Quickly, she slammed on the brakes just in time as the car sped through the red light. Right behind him, Marisa and Conner could see and hear three police cars.

“Cool! A police chase!” Conner stated. The car was about to disappear down the block when suddenly, a white car with blue stripes pulled out in front of him cutting him off. The car had no time to stop. So it turned and crashed into the railing along the street. Just then, a man and a woman jumped out of the white car to catch the driver and his partner who were trying to crawl out and escape. They weren’t wearing police clothes but they were obviously some kind of officers. Marisa and Conner stepped out of the car and walked up to the sidewalk which had already gathered a crowd.

“Man! This is so cool! Even better than a video game!” Conner cheered as the excitement was getting to him. Marisa just stood there. By now, the police had surrounded the crashed car and were arresting the crooks. Just then, Marisa saw somebody getting out of the driver’s seat of the white car.

“It can’t be!”

“What’s wrong, sis?” Marisa couldn’t believe her eyes. It was Thomas. He was wearing some kind of uniform just like the ones the other two officers who jumped out of the car first were wearing. He was walking up to his partners who were handcuffing the crooks. Just then, one of them broke free from the police. Before he could do anything, Thomas jumped up and pinned him down to the ground. Marisa had never seen anything like it before. One thing was for sure, there was something about the look on his face that was sending chills down her back. He seemed to have fire burning in his eyes which just made it more frightening. Marisa couldn’t bring herself to believe that he was the same person she had lunch with the day before.

“Man! That guy’s the coolest!” Conner cheered. Marisa wasn’t sure what to think. All she knew was that she had seen enough.

“Conner, get back in the car. We’re leaving.”

“Huh, but sis, can’t we stick around a little longer? We’ll miss all the action.”

“Don’t argue with me! Just get in the car! Now!” Struck by the seriousness of Marisa’s voice, Conner rushed back to the car. Marisa took one last look and headed back as well. Just then, Thomas turned at the sound of a familiar voice. He thought he caught a glimpse of a familiar face, but then it disappeared.

“Something wrong, Thomas?” His partner asked.

“No, it’s nothing. I must have imagined it.”

   After Marisa dropped Conner off at school, she took her time getting to work.

“What was that all about? I remember May May said something about how Thomas works for the government or something. But, that was just intense. He seemed like a completely different person. The look on his face, it was...” A shiver passed through her as she tried to sharpen the image out of her head. After she got to the hospital, she slowly walked towards her office.