Chapter 6

The next day, Marisa went to work early to try and take her mind off of things. As she walked into her office, she peered into her schedule for the day.

“Alright, Marisa. Time to get your head out of the clouds. There are people here who need your help.” After having a cup of hot tea, she walked into the examination room. To her surprise, it was the young boy who injured his knee at the park a few days ago.

“Well, I certainly didn’t expect to see you again so soon. What can I do for you this time?”

“Well, the wound started bleeding again last night and we were worried one of his stitches might have come loose or something.” The mother explained.

“I see. Has it been bothering him in any way?”

“Well, he has been saying that it hurts to bend it but we thought that was just because he wasn’t used to the stitches. We’ve been keeping it bandaged up like you said.” Marisa took off the bandage and looked it over. It was hard to see the stitches clearly cause they were covered with dried blood.

“Hmm, well first things first. Let’s get this cleaned up.” Using a ball of bleached cotton, she gently pressed on and off the wound until all the dried blood was wiped away. Now she was able to get a better look.

“Well, the stitches are all there. Although, it seems the cut isn’t healing like I had hoped it would. I wonder.” Just then, she had an idea.

“Chelsea, would you please get an x-ray ready for me? There’s something I would like to check.” Marisa asked Chelsea who had been standing there the whole time.

“Right away, doctor.” Quickly, Chelsea got out the x-ray equipment. After taking a snapshot of the boy’s leg, Marisa held it up to the light.

“Hmm, it’s just as I feared.” Now the mother was getting a little worried.

“Is something wrong?”

“Well, take a look at this.” She pointed to a big white spot that was sticking out deep within the boys leg.

“See, here is where the outer leg muscle is located. This big white spot, which is right on top of it, indicates that there’s something still stuck in there. Probably a piece of the rock he hit when he landed.” The frightened mother held her child closely.

“So what can we do?”

“No need to worry. Fortunately, it’s only on top of his muscle and not buried in it. We should be able to go in and remove it.”

“Will it hurt him?”

“Oh no, of course not. We’ll put him under mild anesthesia so he won’t feel a thing.” With Marisa’s assurance, the boy’s mother agreed to the treatment. With that said, Marisa sent Chelsea to put out word for Dr. John and two other doctors to meet her in one of the hospital’s upper operating rooms. While she was waiting, she put an anesthetic mask over the boy’s face.

“Now don’t you worry, sweety. Everything will be alright.” She promised trying to comfort the frightened child.

“Doctor, it won’t hurt will it?”

“No dear, I promise you won’t feel a thing. By the time you wake up from your little nap, it will all be over. You just relax and have a good sleep.” Now that the boy had calmed down, Marisa slowly turned on the anesthetic gas pressure. By the time Marisa’s helpers had entered the room, the boy was fast asleep.

“Perfect timing everyone.” Marisa announced as she put on her robe.

“So this is the boy you met in the park, Dr. Marisa?”