Chapter 27

As the time for his private flight to take off neared, Thomas shook Commander Sampson’s hand goodbye.

“Thank you for everything you’ve done for me Commander. It was an honor to work with you.”

“Likewise Thomas, there aren’t very many agents here who I consider to be as strong and determined as you. I’m sure you will do just as well abroad as you have here.”

“Thank you sir.” Just then, Thomas looked down at Commander Sampson’s side. Kristy was standing there trying really hard not to cry. Thomas bent down next to her and rubbed her head.

“Hey there, princess. That’s not the kind of look a young lady like you should wear.” Kristy sniffed as tears rolled down her face. Finally, she couldn’t take it anymore. She jumped into his arms and cried her eyes out.

“Why Thomas? Why do you have to go away?” Thomas smiled as he stroke her head.

“Don’t worry, Kristy. We’ll see each other again someday.” Kristy sniffed.

“Really?”

“Really. The next time we meet will be when you’ve grown up into a beautiful young woman.” Kristy rubbed her eyes and held up her pinky finger.

“You promise?” Thomas smiled as he wrapped his pinky finger around hers.

“I promise.” As he stood up, Miki and Minnie appeared.

“Um, Thomas.” Thomas looked to see Minnie holding out a blue box with a green ribbon on it.

“We made this for you. It’s nothing fancy, but we want you to have it.” Thomas smiled as he opened the package. Inside was a big straw hat that had a blue cloth wrapped around it. It also had a large hood that went all around.

“A handmade straw hat. How thoughtful of you.” Minnie smiled.

“We heard that the locals wear them to keep the sun out of their eyes so we thought you might need one too.” Thomas tried it on. It was a perfect fit.

“Not exactly something I’m used to wearing everyday. But, I’m sure I’ll get used to it.” Just then, they jumped up and gave him a big hug. They both had tears in their eyes.

“We’re really going to miss you, Thomas.” Minnie cried.

“Promise that you’ll give us a call sometime.” Miki stated. Thomas smiled as he hugged them back.

“I promise.” Miki and Minnie wiped their eyes. Thomas looked around.

“Where are Marcus and Yoshi?”

“Oh, um, they said they had something urgent they needed to take care of. They said they’d try to be back in time to see you off, but we haven’t heard from them since they left.” Miki explained. Thomas lowered his head and formed a sad look on his face.

“I see.” With that, he picked up his bag.

“Well, give them my best regards and tell them I’ll call as soon as I can.”

“Okay.” Thomas turned and started walking towards the plane. Minnie leaned towards Miki.

“I guess they aren’t going to make it in time.” Miki formed a sad look on her face.

“Yeah, I’m sure they tried their best, but I’m afraid it’s out of our hands now. Thomas has made his decision. It would be wrong for us to keep him here against his will.” Minnie lowered her head.

“Yes, you’re right.” Meanwhile, Marcus was pulling into the parking lot and making his way towards the elevator. While the elevator took them down, he checked his watch.