Chapter 4

The next day was Saturday. So Marisa was able to sleep in for a change. By the time she woke up, it was mid morning. With a big smile on her face, she laid in bed and stretched her arms out. When she opened her eyes, she was surprised to see Kimmiekoe laying at her side.

“Hey there, Kimmiekoe. Sleep well?” Kimmiekoe purred as Marisa stroke her fur. After getting the day started by brushing her teeth and hair, she walked down the stairs.

“Morning Mom.”

“Good morning, dear.”

“Where’s Conner?”

“He’s still sleeping. I think he stayed up all night playing video games again.” Marisa rolled her eyes as she reached in the fridge and pulled out an apple.

“Why am I not surprised?”

“Seeing as how this is your day off, do you have any special plans today?”

“Well, I thought I might run to the bookstore in the mall to see if they have this one book I’ve been waiting for.”

“That sounds like a plan. You should go and enjoy yourself, dear. You hardly ever take the time to do fun things for yourself.”

“That’s not true, Mom. I do plenty of fun things during my spare time.” Marisa’s mom giggled.

“Whatever you say, dear.” With that being said, Marisa put on her clothes and headed out the door. As usual, the mall was a little crowded on Saturdays. As Marisa looked at the clothing displays, she spotted some cute things.

“Maybe after I run to the book store, I’ll stop by and try some things on. It’s been a while since I bought some new clothes.” With that being said, she walked into the bookstore. Walking up to the section that had the kind of books she loved to read, she looked for the book she wanted.

“Yes! It finally came out!” She squealed as she held up the book she had been waiting for. After paying for the book, she walked out of the store and went back to a couple of the clothing stores. As she browsed through some things, she couldn’t help but look at the manikins that were displaying the latest fashions. They all looked really cute, but she just couldn’t see herself wearing them. Out of curiosity, she picked out one of the dresses that was on display. It was a black dress with a diamond pendant in the middle.

“This is really cute, though it’s a lot different from what I’m used to. Than again, it’s just like May May said. Sometimes you’ve just got to take the plunge.” With that being said, Marisa went into one of the fitting rooms. A moment later, she came out wearing the dress. As she admired herself in the mirrors, she twirled around to make the skirt spin.

“This dress is beautiful, but...” The more she looked at herself, the more she thought it just wasn’t her.

“It’s no use. I’m just not used to wearing fancy clothes like this. Besides, where would I wear it?” Sadly, she took the dress off and put it back. Realizing there was no point in trying anything else on, she walked out of the store with her head down.

   Looking up, she realized she had made her way to the center of the mall. In front of her, there was a little set of stairs that led to a pretty fountain. Marisa admired the lights under the water as they flashed the colors of the rainbow. The fountain was surrounded by long vines with blue and purple flowers on them making it even more beautiful. Just then, a young couple climbed down the stairs and sat by the fountain. The girl blushed as the man kept going on about how cute she looked in the dress she was wearing. Marisa just smiled, but it wasn’t a happy smile.

“Everything around me seems so beautiful. But as for me, I’m...I’m just so plain. That’s really the only word I can think of to describe myself. I’m just too plain...Oh well, not like it’s a big deal or anything. I’m happy with the way I am. I don’t care about the fact that I’m not super pretty. Really, I don’t need anyone to tell me I’m cute or anything. I’m perfectly fine with that.” Just then, Marisa felt something roll down her cheek. Placing her finger on her cheek, she realized it was a tear.