Chapter 3

The next morning, Marisa got to work early to make up for the time she took off last night. When she walked into her office, she spotted the charts for the day as well as the charts from yesterday all filled out. All they needed was her signature of approval.

“Looks like Chelsea was able to take care of everything. Sure am glad I have her around to give me an extra hand when I need it.” After taking care of the patients she had scheduled for the morning, she went to check on Mrs. Sampson. As she walked down the hall, she spotted one of the hospital’s nurses pushing the pill cart. To her surprise, it was her friend Lindsey. Lindsey was actually Maggie’s brother’s wife.

“Hey, Lindsey. I didn’t know you were working today.”

“Hey, Marisa. I switched shifts with Chelsea because we’re having a family reunion this weekend and I wanted to get as much work done as possible to help get everything ready.”

“Oh I see. Well, no need to worry. Take as much time as you need. You’ve always been great at keeping up with your hours.”

“Thanks, than again, that’s easy to do when I have a very understanding boss like you. Everyone in this hospital is fortunate to have you as the Chief of Staff.” Marisa blushed.

“Well, I don’t really know about that. After all, the welfare of our patients is our first priority. As long as they’re healthy and happy, that’s what really matters.”

“Spoken like a true doctor who always knows what’s best for her patients.” Marisa just smiled.

“By the way, did you stop by Mrs. Sampson’s room to give her her medications?”

“Sure did, but she was sleeping when I got there. So I just left them by her bedside for when she wakes up.” Marisa formed a surprise look.

“Sleeping? Did she not sleep well last night?”

“Yes she did. She just got a surprise phone call from her son and stayed up late talking to him.”

“Oh, that’s understandable. Her son sure is a mysterious man. He sends her cards and flowers all the time and calls her every few days, but he never comes to visit her. What’s that all about?”

“Don’t know. Maybe he just doesn’t do well in hospitals. There are some people like that.”

“I guess that’s an option. But I have a feeling that’s not the case.” Marisa tried to think of what the real reason could possibly be.

“Oh well, at least he’s being considerate with cards, flowers, and phone calls. That’s better than nothing.” Lindsey pointed out.

“Yeah, I guess that’s true.” With that being said, Lindsey walked off to finish her rounds. Marisa decided to go ahead and check on Mrs. Sampson. Quietly, she walked into her room. Sure enough, she was fast asleep. Looking at her bedside desk, she spotted her medicine which Lindsey had left for her.

“As long as she takes it before she eats, she should be fine.” She thought to herself. With that, she tiptoed out of the room. As she came around the corner in the hallway, someone accidentally bumped into her knocking her down.

“Ouch!” She cried as she rubbed her leg.

“Oh no! I’m sorry, Dr. Marisa! Are you alright?!” Marisa looked up to see it was Dr. David.

“Oh, Dr. David. Yes, I’m fine. No need to worry.” She assured him as he helped her up.

“I was a little caught up in thought and wasn’t paying attention to where I was going. I guess getting lost in your own world is much more dangerous than it appears.” Marisa couldn’t help but laugh.