Chapter 12

Meanwhile, Dr. David had taken Marisa to the park. She sat on the bench while he went to get her something to drink.

“Here, have some tea. You’ll feel a lot better.”

“Thank you.” Marisa tried to smile as she took the drink from his hand. At first, she just stared at it. Then, she took a drink.

“Feeling any better?”

“Yeah, I guess so. Sorry you had to see me like that.”

“No need to apologize. What was it that made you so upset?” Marisa didn’t answer right away. As she stared at her drink, she formed a fake smile.

“My own stupidity.” Dr. David looked at her surprised.

“I was hoping for something that I knew wouldn’t be possible. It seems like that’s what I always do. In the end, I only have myself to blame. I’m nothing but one big fool.” At first, Dr. David didn’t say anything.

“I don’t think you’re a fool.” Marisa lifted her face. Dr. David scratched his cheek.

“I’ve always thought you were very talented and determined. Since the day we met, I’ve watched you work and I was inspired by it. I watched how you gave it your all and never took your patients problems lightly. You’re always certain to give them everything they needed whether big or small. I’ve always thought that was... inspiring. Not just for myself, but for the other doctors too.” Marisa looked at him with a surprised look on her face.     

“You really think so?”

“I sure do. I bet that whatever it is that’s really troubling you, you’ll be able to get through it no problem. Cause that’s just the kind of person you are.” Marisa couldn’t help but smile as she wiped her face off.

“Thank you, Dr. David. I feel much better now.” Just then, Marisa’s phone rang. She picked it up to see it was Maggie.

“Just a second, Dr. David. I need to take this.” Marisa got up and walked over to the swings.

“Hey, May May.”

“Hey, what’s up? You sound kind a down.”

“Well actually, I need a bit of a favor.” A moment later, Marisa came back.

“Dr. David, I’m sorry to ask this of you, but could you give me a ride to the hospital? That’s where my car is.”

“Sure thing. I was heading down that direction anyway.” With that being said, they hopped back into the car and headed over to the hospital.

   About a half hour later, Marisa found herself at Maggie’s house. They were sitting in the living room while Marisa told Maggie what had happened.

“Why that inconsiderate, air headed, dimwit! I can’t believe he would say something so cold!” Marisa just sat there with her knees folded up and her arms wrapped around them.

“When he said that, the only thing I could think of doing was running away. It might not have been the best thing, but I didn’t know what else to do. Even now, I can’t think of anything else I could have done.” Maggie let out a sigh.

“Macy, you really do care about him don’t you?” Marisa stared at the wall for a minute.

“At first, I wasn’t sure what to think. He seemed like just an ordinary guy. Yet, as I grew closer to him, I found myself thinking about him more and more. Everything he said affected me so much. Seeing him smile filled me with so much joy and being lead by his hand was so warm and comforting. Just being around him made me so happy.” Just then, Marisa buried her face in her knees.