Chapter 20

For the next couple days, Marisa spent almost all of her time at the hospital in case they received any word from Dr. Tyler. Finally on the third night, Marisa came home. She was surprised to find Maggie was there. She was sitting on the dining table drinking a cup of tea while doing some work in her folders she brought with her.

“May May? What are you doing here?”

“One of my coworkers brought a whole bunch of freshly picked blueberries with her to work today. Thought you might like some.”

“Mmm, that’s sounds wonderful. I haven’t had homemade blueberry pie in a long time. Or maybe I should make some blueberry jam.” Maggie laughed.

“You can make both. I bought plenty.”

“You did?” Marisa peaked into the kitchen. She was shocked to find a huge plastic bag stuffed with blueberries on the counter.

“Geez! That’s enough blueberries to make at least 3 pies and 2 jars of jam! Where in the world did your friend get so many?”

“Actually, her uncle runs a popular blueberry farm up in the mountains. I heard he had a super good harvest this year.” Maggie explained while sipping her tea.

“I guess so. By the way, where is everyone?”

“Your mom’s in the middle of dusting the house, Conner’s playing his video games as usual, and you dad still isn’t home yet.”

“I see. Well, I’m going to take a bath. Even though it’s been three days, I still feel like I’m covered with blood.” Maggie smiled.

“Too bad you don’t have a hot tub. You could have a never ending hot water soak.” She teased. Marisa just laughed.

“Don’t even joke. Having a hot tub would be way too much work. As a stay home mom, Mom’s got enough to worry about. She doesn’t need anything else to keep clean.” With that said, Marisa headed upstairs to take a nice long soak. After a while, she came back rubbing a towel over her head.

“Feeling better now?” Maggie asked.

“I sure do. Nothing in the whole wide world beats hot clean water.” Just then, her mother called from the kitchen.

“Marisa, could you give me a hand please?”

“Coming.” Putting her towel down, she walked into the kitchen leaving Maggie to her work.

“What’s up, Mom?”

“Could you please make a salad for everyone? My hands are tied trying to do 10 things at once.”

“Sure thing. Hey May May, you staying for dinner?” Marisa called out.

“Yes please. Jarred’s going to be home late tonight. So I’m on my own for dinner and I really don’t feel like going home and heating up the leftovers.” Marisa chuckled as she started to slice up some lettuce.

   For a while, everything was quiet. The only noise that could be heard was the stew boiling and the knives cutting. Maggie just sat quietly at the table working. Suddenly, Marisa’s cell phone, which was right next to Maggie, stated to go off. The sudden sounds caused Maggie to jump out of her skin.

“Hey Macy! Why didn’t you warn me that your phone was right there?! It scared the life out of me!” Marisa quietly laughed under her breath.

“Oh, sorry about that. I just forgot. Would you mind answering that for me? It’s probably just someone from the hospital.” Maggie formed an annoyed look on her face as she reached for the buzzing phone.