Chapter 5

The next day, Marisa had forgotten all about the incident at the mall and was anxious about the dinner party that night. As she shuffled through her closet, she wasn’t sure what to wear. Finally, she pulled out a pair of short dark blue jeans and a black shirt with a picture of a blue rose with blue paint dripping down on the front.

“Hmm, what do you think, Kimmiekoe?” Kimmiekoe just let out a little squeak as she stretched herself across Marisa’s bed.

“It’s not super fancy or anything. But, I guess it will have to do.” With that, she quickly got changed and headed downstairs.

“I’m leaving, Mom.” She called as she reached for the door.

“Alright, have fun dear.” Her mother called from the kitchen. As Marisa drove down the road, she began to get an uneasy feeling.

“Every time May May holds a party of some kind, she tends to throw in a sneaky surprise. The last time was when she threw that dance party at the dance hall. Everything was going the way I thought it would until she suddenly threw in that boys vs. girls dance off. Of course, the girls won but it was still completely unexpected. I hope she doesn’t get too carried away this time. But with her family there, I’m not so sure.” In no time at all, Marisa pulled up to the driveway of Maggie’s parents house. The party was in her step-dad’s barn behind the house. As she walked up to the open door, she was surprised to see how many people there were.

“Wow, I knew May May had a big family, but I didn’t think there would be this many. Than again, she did say that Jarred had invited a few of his friends.

“Macy?!” Marisa looked over to see Maggie’s mother coming towards her.

“Hey, Jewels. How you doing?”

“Oh I’m just fine. I’m so glad you were able to join us.”

“Yeah well, May May’s the kind of person it’s hard to say no to.” Jewels chuckled.

“I know what you mean. I don’t know how she talked Russell into letting her have a big party like this here of all places.”

“Huh? But she said this was your idea.”

“Oh no, I did want to have a nice family dinner with everyone, but I never considered having it here. I thought we would end up renting a banquet hall or something.” Marisa rolled her eyes.

“Your mom will have to do all the cleaning, huh? I should have known.” She thought to herself. Just then, someone jumped up behind her.

“Hey, Macy! What took you so long?”

“I’m not that late am I?” She stated pretty much used to Maggie’s surprise attacks.

“No, but I was starting to think you weren’t coming. Come on.” Just then, Maggie grabbed hold of her arm and pulled her forward.”

“Hey, easy! You’re gonna pull my arm off!” Jewels just giggled as she watched them go.

“Poor Macy, she really can’t say no to Maggie.”

   As Maggie pulled Marisa forward, she began to get that uneasy feeling again.

“Man May May, what are you trying to do now?” Just then, Marisa spotted Jarred talking to some of his friends.

“Hey, honey!” Maggie called out. Jarred turned around.

“Hey, babe. I was wondering where you were. Oh, hey Macy. Long time no see.” Marisa smiled.

“Yes, it has been a while. How have you been, Jarred?”

“Oh, I can’t complain. How about you? The hospital keeping you busy?”