Chapter 9

That morning, Marisa woke up to the ticklish feeling of something furry brushing up against her face. As she opened her eyes, she realized it was Kimmiekoe rubbing her head against her face.

“Kimmiekoe, what are you doing? Waking me up like this. You know, if you did this to Dad, you’d be sleeping outside.” Marisa smiled as she stroked her cat’s fur. Rubbing her eyes, she looked over at her clock. One look was enough to send her flying up.

“Ah! 10:00?! How could I have overslept that long?!” Quickly, she jumped out of bed and rushed to get ready. After she was cleaned up, she rushed downstairs while throwing on her doctor’s jacket.

“Well, look who finally crawled out from under the covers.” Graham stated as he looked up from his morning paper.

“Not now, dad! Why didn’t you wake me up?! I should have been at the hospital 2 hours ago!”

“Hey, don’t blame me. Did you forget to set your alarm or something?” Marisa blushed realizing he was right. She was so preoccupied last night, she completely forgot. With that said, she threw on her shoes and rushed towards the door.

“Marisa wait!” Marisa turned to see her mother behind her. She handed her a piece toast with apple butter on it.

“It’s not a very good idea for a doctor to start the day with an empty stomach.” Marisa smiled.

“Thanks Mom. I’m off!” After making the quick drive to the hospital, Marisa rushed to the doctors’ resting room. Not surprising, Dr. John was in there taking it easy.

“Hey, we were wondering where you were.”

“Sorry, I overslept. Had a big day yesterday.”

“It’s all good. Dr. David’s been taking care of your early morning patients for you. So there’s no reason to get all worked up.” Marisa formed a surprised look on her face.

“Dr. David has?”

“Yep, as soon as he heard you weren’t here, he dropped what he was doing and took over things for you.” Marisa gave him a funny look.

“And what have you been doing all this time? Making yourself useful as always?”

“Hey, whenever there’s a situation that needs my expertise, I’m there in a heartbeat to save the day.”

“Right and until that happens, you’re just sitting around eating doughnuts and being lazy.” Dr. John grinned.

“Hey, it’s a tough job but somebody’s got to do it.”

“How thoughtful of you.” Marisa rolled her eyes as she headed out the door. As she walked into the examination room, Dr. David was there running a physical checkup on a young man.

“Oh, good morning, Dr. Marisa. I’m glad to see you’re alright.”

“Good morning, Dr. David. Sorry to have to put you through so much trouble.”

“Not at all. I was happy to help.” While Dr. David dealt with the patient, Marisa began looking through the day’s paperwork. She was surprised to see it was almost done.

“Wow, Dr. David sure doesn’t mess around. He could really teach that lazy bum Dr. John a thing or two.” With that said, Marisa quickly finished up the paperwork. Just then, Dr. David dismissed the young man.

“Well, that should take care of that.”

“Thanks for your help, Dr. David. I was so preoccupied last night I completely forgot to set my alarm clock.”