Chapter 7 Looking Back

The day after,I was at Bronte waiting for the next set of waves,I love surfing as soon as I could walk I was on my dads board learning how to surf. I have caused my father and grandmother a lot of stress over the last years, I wasn't the best teenager people would of called me wild, I loved the party scene when I wasn't competing, but when I turned 22 I realised it wasn't for me, and that I wanted to help people that was the main reason I went to Bali, it was a group of us who volunteered Teaching the children surf safety, reading and writing was amazing I heard about it through the surf cub.

I was 23 when I started a relationship with Chris I had always had a crush on him, we actually were good friends to start off with, we kept it quiet for a while until we were sure then I spoke to my dad surprisingly he knew.

I look up to see Chappo paddling towards me  "hi".

"Hi you've been out here along time".

"I've been thinking" I sigh he gives me a look.

"Don't look back look forward" he says with a smile. I look back to see a wave loom it looks huge but it's not as big as Ours.

I begin to paddle "had to look back then" I laugh "otherwise I would be able to do this" I pop up on my board and begin to ride the wave I must of stepped funny because I end up in the water with a wave crashing over me which pushes me into a sand bank. I make it to shore not looking back to see where Chappo is all I know is that I have consent pain in my back I look up to see H and Gonzo in the buggy I sit down, well done you twat, not even been home 48 hours and you have a possible spinal injury.

"Meg you alright" Chappo said coming out of the sea "you got dumped pretty heavy" my eyes meet his "hey guys I think she's done something" is the last thing I hear before I pass out.

"Megan wake up sweetie, Meggie" I feel a oxygen mask on my face as I start opening my eyes to see my dad I try to move but I'm pinned down by the spinal board I call it the rectangle "guys she's awake, did you hit your back?" Yes I try to say but it was barely audible

"We can give you the green whistles" H said "do you want that?" I shake my head", I had it a couple of times, did I forget to say I was clumsy broken ribs, fingers, shoulder dislocations you name them I've possibly had it.

"Megan don't move" Dad warns.

"I don't want that vile thing" I manage to croak out they laugh "how long was I out this time?"

"Two minutes" Whippet answers "welcome home unlucky" that's Whippets nickname for me I've had it for as long as I've known him I chuckle, I have a habit of passing out from large volumes of pain, I don't know why, but I can deal with period pain.

"Why the...I trail off..have you boxed me up".

"Possible spinal" Chappo answers I roll my eyes.

"Right" I answer, "so when are the Amb.." my eyes begin to close.

"Megan open your eyes" I'm back in dreamland  I don't even know who was shouting me.

Oxy was back on "doesn't that freak you out Box?" Gonzo asked.

"She's always done it" he chuckles, "only happens when she is in a lot of pain, welcome back next time warn us" I smile "all innocent now" I take of the mask.

"Go away" I joke, it's not low pain tolerance, it actually from my body going into shock after trauma, like a safety blanket.

"Your back to normal, Is your body immune now?" Chappo says I smile.

"Can you ring mum dad I promised to see Andy today", Andy is my younger brother who has a disability, "please ring her Dad.. I know you hate it but.. it's Andy...he's your..."

"Alright I'll ring her don't guilt trip me" Andy is with my mum today has he has just come from weekend away with his school.
.
.
.

A few hours pass me of driving dad absolutely mad, in the hospital waiting to get my results, we were sitting in a room watching tv when a there was knock at the door "G'day  Megan how are you feeling?", Doctor Mckenzie asks,as last time he saw me I was hyped up on morphine.

"I'm good thanks not in any pain now". 

He puts my X-rays up on the machine "that's good, Mr Kerr your team did a excellent job with the spinal practice, as any more movement might of knocked the vertebrae out of alinement, Megan your very lucky that's you've only a thoracic of the spine, which is a sprain, you will be able to leave soon but you won't be able to do any surfing, heavy lifting, and you may have some bruising".

Seconds after the Doctor leaves my gran and Andy come in "Mehan, what did you do?" He asks wheeling over my brother has CP also known as Cerebral palsy he has the kind which  makes his legs and arm stiff it can make difficult for him to walk unaided and he also struggles to form words , but we can understand him. I really look up to him he doesn't let it get him down.

"Just sprained my spine" he pulls a face.

"Ouch, no more surfing for you for a few weeks" I smile my brother always manages to put a smile on my face "will you be in a chair like me".

"Nah mate, but I'll have a wheelchair race when I'm allowed to