Chapter 11 Birthday

The summer season starts next month and I still won't be fit enough to try out. After getting a shower and dressed I knock on Andy's bedroom door "hey do you want some brekkie" he was watching home and away.

"Morning where were you last night?" I change the subject.

"Have you took your meds?" He nods "do you want some breakfast."

"Had some already" he answers.

"Do you want some help with your shoes?" I look at his feet and laugh "Dad already did them." I start to tidy up.

"Meg where were you last night?" I continue to tidy away his medicine.

"Why are you full of questions Andy pandy" I smile "if you must know I stayed with Kate, I was too tired to drive back" I don't want to give him false hope and Kate is another good friend of mine but she is in Adelaide with her boyfriend, a little white lie won't hurt.

I grab some food after covering the mark on my neck "Andy do you wanna go the beach?" I ask while washing dishes, what has actually got into me he looks up from the tv.

"But your not allowed to surf" I smile, Andy is very much a lover of water like me plus it helps his joints, he loves going on the surfboard.

"I know but it won't be very busy I'm sure Dad or someone will take you out it is your birthday tomorrow they have too" mine and Andy's birthday's are really close together his is the 25th of October mine is the 26th of December, he was born at 26 weeks, that was the hardest time for my parents they thought they would loose him, but Andy is a little fighter and still is at 19 "Gran you coming".

"Meg come here" I walk into the kitchen "we planned a surprise birthday party at Bondi for Andy it was your dads idea and Hoppo's, you know he has always wanted to be a lifeguard".

We begin the short drive to Bondi I was stuck driving some actual nob cut in front of me then I see the license plate it was Maxi I laugh "Megan where were you last night?" Gran asks.

"At a friends" I smile.

"A male friend" I don't answer "was it Chappo? Megan? Did you sleep together?" I sigh how did she know.

"How?"

"Let's call it Grandma's intuition" I smile "you make each other happy Megan" I don't want to tell her that we called it quits for a while.

I find a parking space quite easily "I want to walk Meg" I take his hand and we walk to the tower Gran stays behind holding the cake we managed to hide I don't know how we did it.

"Your doing really well" his walking is a lot better than it was when I left he smiled.

"Thanks".

The blue door was finally in our grasp I open it "surprise Andy Happy birthday" the lifeguards shout there was at least 30 of them if not more here I smile as I see Chappo with a hat and birthday badge, who knew they would have so much love for my baby brother, I begin to cry Andy puts his arm around me.

"Why are you crying?" He asks.

"Because everyone here has took the time out of their day to spend it with you Andy, your very lucky" he kisses my cheek.

"Three cheers for Andy and to being only 20 once" Harries shouts.

"Hip hip hooray" party poppers pop everywhere he looks up in utter amazement Chappo puts the badge and hat on him.

"Happy Birthday Mate" then he helps him sit down.

"Chris thank you for making my sister happy again" I look at Chappo he smiles.

Dad comes over with a uniform "I know you wanted to be a lifeguard so since it's your birthday here is your chance".

I watch on the shoreline as Andy was out having fun with Maxi, Matt dee, Harries and Corey, "he's lucky to have you, you know" it was my dad I smile but shake my head.

"He's not".

"You make him more determined to achieve in life, don't you remember when he six and he wanted to surf.. Megan you took him out on that board everyday to help him build his strength, I know being home hasn't been easy..but you being here again has helped him." At least I'm helping Andy

He's right being home is hard, I'm not able to work, or do what I love, I'm not even sure if I'm doing anything right .. I just feel like a failure.

"He's having a great time". I see my mum walking down second ramp "watch out dad" then I see Damian "great" they walk over to us.

"Hi where is he?" Mum asks I point to the surf.

"Oh he's the retard on the board.." Damian said surprised I knew she wouldn't tell him I feel myself getting defensive "you should have said" he laughs mum doesn't say anything. That's your son.

"Excuse me he probably has a higher IQ than you...and that Retard has a name it's Andy."

"Megan leave it" dad warns.

"No I fucking won't let some asshole call my brother a retard."

"But he is, just look at him he's a overgrown Child." That was it I step closer to him dad holds me back

"Leave please your not wanted here talking about my son like that".

"You don't even know him.. take you opinions with you" I glare at my mum as they walk away "how do you even like him...oh that's right you don't you just like what he's good at. I have to walk away.