3| How Great It Could Be

Kris

"We need some hits here boys" my dad screams out to seemingly no one specific. It was the bottom of the 8th and we were in a need for some runs to stay undefeated. We all file into the dugout and McKayla sits next to me putting on a helmet and batting gloves.

"We can do this" she says looking at me and I nod. She was the one who always pumped me up, she kept me going and with her by my side I feel like I could do anything.

"Lets do it" I nod. Mikey starts the bottom half of the inning with a double and I step up to the plate behind him. This pitcher was good for the high school level. I fall behind in the count 1-2 until he gives me a pitch I like. I hit a hard single and bring Mikey home easily . Next up McKayla steps to the plate and does her little routine. The first pitch she sees is absolutely unloaded into the right field corner. I trot home and she slides into third easily. We now lead 3-2 and can rely on our defense to bring us home.

There's runners on corners with one out in the top of the ninth and I shift on my base at third. I look over to center where McKayla was and she looked locked in. There is a ball hit hard to her and she catches it for one out.

"Runner" I yell and she realizes the is guy trying to tag up and score. The ball sails out of her hand and is a complete missile to home. Our catcher Sam tags the guy out and this game is over.

McKayla runs into my arms as I spin her around.

"You did it" I yell before setting her down.

"No Kris, we did it" she says. We look into each other's eyes and it felt like time stops, there was no place I would rather be than right here with her. I hear my name being called and snap out of it quickly. We all high five each other then head to the locker room to change.

I find McKayla with Kyle talking to some of the guys on the team and decide to head over.

"Hey Kayla, wanna come over and study" I ask as everyone talks amongst themselves.

"Sorry she can't" Kyle says sharply and I look at him weirdly. We usually don't have problems but lately it feels like there is one.

"Hey, there is no need for that. I can talk for myself. Anyway, I would love to but I promised Kyle a movie night. But tomorrow for sure" she says and I nod. Kyle never took his eyes off of me the whole time and I had this feeling we weren't cool anymore.

I go home and sit at my desk while I twirl a pencil in my fingers. I had a biology test tomorrow and needed the few extra brush ups on vocabulary. My phone buzzes and I see it's a text from McKayla.

Mac: Sorry about Kyle earlier. He's been really over protective lately and kind of an ass.
Me: No worries. I get it.
Mac: Please don't be mad at me :(
Me: I could never be mad at you. It's Kris and Kayla forever remember?
Mac: Good. Now be ready to kill that biology test tomorrow.
Me: Will do :)

I go downstairs and sit at the island to drink some water and think.

"Good game son, looking sharp" my dad says patting my back before heading to the fridge.

"Thanks dad, real team effort tonight" I admit.

"Heck yeah. Maybe we'll be undefeated this year" he says hopeful.

"That would be cool" I smile.

"There's that smile in looking for" he says knocking my chin. The sounds of screaming start and I know what was happening, it makes me cringe. McKayla's parents were at it again and I just hope she's not home.

"Do you think Kayla is going to make it out okay" I ask my dad.

"Of course. She's powerful, strong as a bull, smarter than anyone besides maybe you. She's endured this for 17 years so far, I don't see why that would change" he shrugs.

"But the things her dad says to her mom, and the things her mom say to her, it's terrible. I don't get how she endures that" I sigh.

"She's fighting, for what exactly I'm not sure. But she's fighting" he says. There's a large crash and I jump. My dad looks at me with sad eyes and takes off down the hallway. I text her to make sure she's okay and she says she's still with Kyle. The one time I'm actually relieved she is. It gets late and I go to bed with a lot on my mind.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"You ready for this test" McKayla asks sitting next to me in our class. AP bio was no joke but we manage.

"Hell yeah. Gonna make it my bitch" I joke.

"Sorry again that I couldn't study with you last night. But you're a natural at this stuff, you'll kill it" she assures me.

"Don't be sorry, you should spend time with your boyfriend" I assure her and she gives a smile. The bells rings and our teacher hands out the test. It was hard but I think I did well, an A or B maybe. The bell rings again indicating class was over and everyone runs out.

"What are you doing for lunch" she asks as she stuffs her things in her locker that was conveniently next to mine.

"I don't know. Probably going home or somewhere with some of the baseball boys" I shrug.

"Mind if I tag along" she asks softly.

"Of course not. We love having you around. You are a big part of the team" I remind her.

"Sweet, let me grab my wallet then we can take my jeep" she says and I follow her.

We go to Arby's for lunch and I already hear my dad yelling at me for all this shit I'm eating.

"So is this the year" Charles asks. We've been so close to winning a state title but never got the job done.

"Hell yeah it is" McKayla says and the boys let out a holler. We don't have captains but everyone listens to her most. She always seems to say the right things at the right time and the guys eat it up. We all eat lunch and talk about how great this team was. We were a tight knit group, always defended each other and picked each other up when needed. Lunch ends and McKayla drives us back to school.

"Are you sure Kyle is okay with this. I would hate to upset him again" I say as we chill in her car.

"I don't know, I didn't ask him. He doesn't own me and he should trust me. You're my best friend and he has to accept that. Also don't be sorry, you've done nothing wrong so you shouldn't have to apologize" she says and I nod. We spend the rest of lunch jamming out to the radio and talking our life away.

"Why can't life always be this simple" I ask.

"I don't know but this is really nice" she admits. The bell rings and seventh period starts. I head to math and sit by myself in the back. How great things could be...