38| No Limits

McKayla

Spring training kind of feels like high school baseball. A lot of laughing and a lot of immature boys. Man, if you could have heard them laugh when Joe brought a bear cub and it pissed on Anthony... And just like in high school Kris is there setting them straight then joking about it a second later, he's cool like that. But along with all the fun, the boys are getting a lot done.

I love my job for so many reasons, but I have a genuine attachment to people and their happiness. I'm here to talk to people about whatever is on their mind, baseball or not. I'm the listening ear when something's been held in and I'm the voice of reason when something goes too far. I studied athletes for years to catch certain behavioral signs. I can tell from voice inflection wether I'm being lied to or not. I can read a situation and figure out what will happen next before it does. A lot of these things aren't exactly taught in class yet that's what I learned. But I appreciate everything life has to offer because even if something isn't a problem it can turn into one. The easiest way to fixing a problem is preventing it.

Preseason games were just around the corner so the pitchers and catchers were getting their work in. I watch some bull pen sessions and watch some prospects watch the veterans do their work. It was cool to watch someone like John Lackey pitch, he's had his fair share of innings but still goes strong every pitch, like a work horse. Then there Kyle Hendricks who isn't flashy but effective, my type of pitcher. Jason gets better and better each year and he gets to work with a rookie catcher for the spring. He's a great guy so I know they'll be okay. Then there's Lester who has done more than enough to make himself a feared pitcher. When I played in high school I wanted to pitch like him, his slider? Nasty. Watching and learning from him has been a experience this past year. And last but certainly not least is Jake, reigning Cy Young winner. A guy that strikes fear into hitters. Just the way he looks when he pitches is enough to make you want to shit yourself. Then you see what he throws, you might as well call it quits.

There's been a lot of talk about him and whether he could repeat that performance. But what he's doing, that's not normal. Yes, he's the best pitcher in the world right now, and yes, he expects these things from himself too, but I know the difference between expectations and unrealistic. It's a fine line but a line none the less.

I watch as he stares off into seemingly nothing as bull pens continue, I wonder what's going through his head?

"Hey Jake, what are you thinking about" I wonder leaning against the pitching cage.

"Nothing" he sighs.

"Jake, you're a smart guy. I know there's not 'nothing' going through your head" I insist.

"It's nothing, really" he tries but I don't give in.

"You're the best pitcher in the world right now, every thought in your head is there for a reason and affects you some type of way. And if there's one that's bothering you I can't help you if you don't tell me. Or at least admit something is bothering you" I explain.

"Okay fine. I guess the pressure to just come back and be on top of the world from the get go is messing with my head."

"You know what it's like growing up with Kris Bryant? We would draw and it could be the best drawing ever and he would hate it. He would always say 'if I believe that this is as good as it gets then why should I keep trying?', I thought he was insane. But I realized he was right and that's the kind of mindset that will help you. You see this bar set for you to reach, ignore it. You're already doing the unthinkable. If you set a limit then you're telling yourself there's a point where you can't improve, and that's bull shit. Don't pay any attention to what people want from you, what do you want from you?"

"I want to be the best. I want to prove the doubters wrong, that last season wasn't just a good run and that I'm a athlete who is capable of crazy things."

"Great. Know that you can believe it you can achieve it. Never stop trying to get better and never limit yourself to modest goals. All you need is to believe and you're halfway there" I assure him. He gives me a smile before pulling me into a hug, this team loves hugs, that's for sure.

"Thanks Big Mac, you're the best" he says as we break apart.

"Just doing my part for the team" I shrug. I make my way around the training facility and find Kris at batting practice with Jason, David, and Anthony.

"What's good" I ask finding a chair and taking a load off.

"Your fiancés swing. Someone is going for fifty home runs" Anthony chirps.

"No limits Anthony, you know that" Kris says. So funny that I was just saying that myself. I enjoy the rest of the day watching batting practice and listening to the guys go on and on about how great this team was and I had to agree. My jobs a lot easier when the guys on the team aren't complete bitches like some athletes.

We get back to the hotel and I cook dinner for some of the boys while they sat in the commons talking about baseball. The environment around here is light hearted and everyone like each other because there's just one common goal. Nothing was forced, they want to be together and that's the beginning of something special.

"I don't see how we wouldn't win the World Series. This team is a all star team in itself" David claims.

"For real. I'm happy I'm here simply for the fact I don't have to face this team" Kris laughs.

"I never thought of it that way, now I'm happy to be here on a whole nother level" Anthony chuckles.

"Alrighty boys, food is ready" I announce as everyone springs to their feet and into the kitchen.

"What did you make" Dexter asks.

"Penne in homemade alfredo sauce with oregano and garlic bread. Oh and you have to eat your vegetables" I remember pulling out a tossed salad.

"Kris, does she feed you way like this all the time? If so you're being selfish" Addison jokes.

"She offers to do all this, what am I going to say? No" he scoffs.

"I would love to cook for you and Melisa someday" I tell Addi.

"Good, maybe you can help her out a little" he jokes. We sit in the living room area and enjoy each other's company. I look around and remember what it's like to be a part of a team, it's pretty cool.