55| What Happens in Vegas...

McKayla

After the parade and all of Kris' tv appearances we return home to Vegas. I actually missed the place and was excited to meet up with friends.

Kris and I help Sue and Mike prepare for a get together we were having at their house. Friends from high school and family members were coming out to celebrate and a lot of them will meet McKenzie for the first time. I put her in a "I ❤️ Vegas" onesie Nick got us and a little tutu before butting a bow in her hair. She I stare back into those crystal blue eyes and can't help but fall in love with her, she was perfect. She was better than perfect. There's a knock on the door and I look at Kris questionably as he shrugs. It was only 9 am and we haven't even started up the grill yet. I answer the door and was shocked to find my parents there. I stand still because I wasn't sure what to say. There was nothing left to say.

"Hi" my mom says and I swallow a lump stuck in my throat.

"Hi" I whisper back.

"Babe who's at the do..." Kris trails off as he sees what I see.

"What are you guys doing here" he asks not so nicely.

"Is that our granddaughter" my dad asks as I pull my baby closer to me.

"Only by blood" Kris answers. I wanted to high five him for that but my hands were kind of full.

"We just want to talk" my mom starts.

"You had 17 years to do that. Why should I listen" I ask.

"Because we want to fix things" she defends.

"I'm not sure why you're not getting it, but I'm not going to forgive you. I won't let you guys walk into my life when everything is finally going right" I sigh.

"You let my dad do that" my dad snaps.

"He's not the reason I was broken in the first place. He didn't even know I was alive and as soon as he did he searched for me and showed me more love in the last few months than you have my whole life. You had plenty of chances to apologize and quite frankly I'm tired of trying with you guys. I don't want me or my family hurting the way I did at the hands of you guys. I'm sorry but I just can't find it in my heart to forgive you" I insist.

"That's a shame. We always knew you were going places" my mom says.

"That's not true. You didn't come to one baseball game, one academic award ceremony or presentation. In fact I barley saw you at home let alone outside of it. Mike and Sue knew I was going places because hey made sure I had opportunities to do so. They took care of me when they didn't have to, they never asked to have another mouth to feed but always insisted to help out so I can chase my dreams. I won't let my weak will affect my daughter, so you will never get to know her. I think you should leave" I insist. With that they were gone, and I believe for good now. Kris wraps a arm around me as I slowly close the door.

"I'm sorry" he mumbles before kissing the side of my head.

"I'm okay, or at least I will be" I clarify. We come inside and I place McKenzie in her play pen. She's only 18 weeks but she grows every day, both mentally and physically. The doctors say she's advanced for her age but I think she's just really happy to learn new things.

Kris joins Mike outside to start grilling and I join Sue in the kitchen.

"I heard that, I'm sorry sweetie" she says looking up from the pie she was making.

"Can I have a hug" I whisper. I didn't have to ask twice before her arms latch around me. She smelled like vanilla and flour, it was very calming. I sniffle into her shoulder as she rubs my back, man am I thankful I don't wear make up.

"I'm proud of you, I know that was hard. There's a fine line between what you want to do and what you need to do, you've been walking it for a while. But now you're back on

the ground surrounded by people you love. I can promise you everything will be alright" she says softly.

"Thank you Sue" I mumble into her chest. I calm myself down and help her make the rest of the food. Eventually people arrive and chatter starts amongst the house.

"Where's my favorite baseball player" Nick calls out and I grow a smile on my face.

"Here I am Kris" yells back.

"Not you, I'm talking about the cute one" he jokes and Kris rolls his eyes. Nick comes over and gives me a hug and I say hi to his wife Jill. She was just like him, a fiery soul who loves to help people.

"How have you been? How's the baby" he asks.

"I'm doing fine, the baby is healthy and spunky. She's in the play pen in the living room if you would like to see her" I inform him. He rushes into the living room and returns with McKenzie in his arms. She studied his face trying to figure out if he was safe or not. Eventually she relaxes which makes Nick really excited.

Soon enough the house is filled with old teammates and classmates as we celebrate Kris and his victory.

"I think it's impressive that Kris won the World Series and all, but even more impressive he finally got the girl" Mikey chirps.

"I don't know... I'm no 108 year curse" I joke causing everyone to laugh. As time goes on I enjoy catching up with old friends. Just relishing on memories of the past, what got us here and what's happened since we've seen each other last. I have to admit, with my parents out of the question this place already seems a bit brighter. I wouldn't mind visiting more often.

As things come to an end there's a knock on the door and I wasn't sure who it would be. Maybe someone forgot something and came back to get it. I open the door to see Bryce there with a bag and a bright smile.

"Surprise" he cheers and I pull him into a big hug. It's been a emotional day okay?

"What the hell are you doing here" I ask as we break apart.

"Kris told me that if I wanted to drop by I was more than welcomed to. Then I remembered I haven't gotten you a baby shower gift yet so here" he says handing me a bag.

"Thanks, come on in" I say moving to the side.

"Is that Harper" Mike asks and Bryce nods his head.

"Yes sir, nice to see you again" he says shaking his hand.

"You too son, congratulations on being awesome and all" Mike laughs.

"Thanks Mike, couldn't have done without you" he says with a wink. I bring him over to Kris who was playing with McKenzie who's been trying to crawl for a while now.

"And who do we have here" Bryce asks in his baby voice.

"This is Kris" I joke and he playfully nudges my arm.

"This is McKenzie Alexis Bryant, she's four months and loves beards so watch it" Kris ask handing her over. She inspects him like she does all new people but quickly finds her fingers stuck in his beard.

"A curious little thing huh, must get it former momma" he laughs.

"You could say that" I giggle. We hang out with Bryce until he had to go back home to his wife. Once everything was cleaned up I help Sue gather trash and take it out. When I return to Kris' old room I find him passed out on the bed and Kenzie passed out on top of him. Both of them peacefully sleeping and looking oh so adorable. I snap a few pic's before laying Kenzie in her crib and laying myself next to Kris.

Love Prevails (Kris Bryant)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara