46| Nice Surprise

McKayla

"Kriiiiiiis. Kriiiiiiis" I whine as the baby's crying is coming through the monitor once again. I swear I would have treated sleep better if I would have known it would soon become a privilege not a entitlement.

"I got her" he groans rolling out of bed and into the next room. He disappears and I quickly feel empty without him by my side. I crawl over to his spot and wrap my arms around his pillow.

These first few days having to learn how to live with a baby has been, less than easy. The Cubs have been playing at home so Kris has been around besides when the game is going on but I've soon realized something important. I realized how much better my life is when he's in it. He's been my better half for a good part of about 13 years, he understands me and I don't even have to say anything half the time, he already knows what I need or what we need. Since McKenzie has been here he's been a savior. I can't put into words what a great man he is. As a partner and a father I wouldn't chose anyone to take his place. Even though he has to do all this extra stuff right now he knows that he's my everything.

He climbs back into bed as the baby monitor quieted down. I wrap my arms around him and he kisses the top of my head.

"How am I supposed to live when both of my girls are being needy at the same time" he whispers.

"I just really love you" I defend.

"I love you, and our baby, and this little life we have going on here. And no matter how tired I am you and McKenzie will come first. Before me, before baseball, before it all" he says running his hands through my hair.

"Why are you so good to me" I ask half asleep.

"Because you deserve so much more than I can give but never ask for it. Because you understand me and what I'm trying to do, then you allow me to achieve it while helping me along the way. Because for so many years you have been my biggest fan and believed in me when people had their doubts. And because no matter what happens I know at the end of the day I can come home to you and our beautiful daughter and I know everything is going to be okay" he claims. That's the last thing I remember before falling asleep.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

The next day I wake up with a empty bed and a quiet baby moniter, this is too good to be true. I change into leggings and one of Kris' shirts before heading downstairs to loudness. In the kitchen stood about half of the team and in the living room was the other half. Kenzie was in a cubs onesie in her play pen as Willson and Ben play with her and her toys. In the kitchen Anthony, Jon, and Kris were making food laughing the day away. I wasn't sure if this was a dream or not, but it was awesome. I clear my throat and everyone's eyes come to me.

"Congrats" they cheer giving me a huge group hug. A few of them brought cards and gifts and I wasn't sure what to do.

"Um thanks guys" I say not sure what to say. I've been stuck in the house with the baby for a few days now and haven't seen the guys since last month. I was ecstatic to see them, just wasn't expecting it.

"I think we're overloading her" Dexter says sitting me on the couch. Kris brings me food and kisses my head before retreating back to the kitchen. He brings out a bottle and proceeds to feed Kenzie.

Our mornings usually start with me cleaning her up then changing her. Kris takes a shower while I pump breast milk and get her food for the day. By the time he's done I've fed and burped her then it was play time. I jump in the shower then fix Kris and I food while he changes her diaper. We eat while she chills in the play pen and talk about how perfect our baby is. Then Kris cleans up breakfast and I join her in watching cartoons. Kris finds us and we just chill out until she needs something and we take turns spoiling her. But this morning wasn't going to be like that I see.

"Please tell me you're coming back soon" David begs coming up to me.

"What's wrong Grandpa? Can't handle the kids" I tease.

"No... not at all. I'm not even going to sugar coat it. These people are crazy" he says

"I won't be back for a month. Until then you guys are more than welcome to come by and talk to me whenever you want, our house is always open for you" I say looking around.

"Careful with that, we might never leave" Jason jokes. I don't doubt it. The boys chill and play with Kenzie for a little. With so many new faces she was preoccupied for a while. Once she found Jason's beard I didn't think she was going to let go.

"Someone needs a change" Kyle says holding the baby at a distance.

"Alrighty then, Anthony lets go" I yell and he sends me a glare. I take Kenzie upstairs and lay her on the changing table.

"I love you a lot, you know" I say rubbing her belly. She tries her best to smile and it was actually really cute. I get her cleaned up and decide to chill in the room for a little. I hold her close and I rock in the rocking chair humming whatever song was stuck in my head. After a little while I notice she's asleep and place her in the crib. Kris comes in me I shush him before pointing to our sleeping baby. He wraps his arms around me and I lean into his chest. We watch her sleep peacefully while the boys start getting loud downstairs.

"We're pretty lucky, aren't we" I ask.

"Very lucky. Not only do we have each other, but now we have her too" he admits. We return downstairs where we find Anthony trying to get in the crib.

"See, I always knew Anthony was a baby" Kris says and Anthony flips him off. We hang out for a little before the guys head out to see their own families. I turn to Kris with the biggest smile on my face and plant a huge kiss on his lips.

"What was that for" he asks breathlessly.

"Just a reminder" I smirk.

"A reminder of what" he wonders.

"That every second of every day I love you with every fiber of my being" I reply. He comes in for another kiss before the baby monitor goes off and we break apart laughing.

"I got her" he calls darting up the stairs and I watch him run off. This was my life and I love it.