29| The Great Gatsby

McKayla

Boston College, my home for four of the most important years of my life. Here I learned much more than what's taught in a class, I learned about who I am and who I want to be. I've failed and I've conquered and now I can return as a graduate who made it. Before thanksgiving I promised Kris I would show him around and he could meet some of my college friends. I told them to meet me at the Shake Shack for lunch.

I find all my friends at the table in the back and take my spot like I usually did. I missed them a hell of a lot more then I initially thought.

"Well if it isn't Ms. Big Time herself. How the hell are ya" Monica asks bringing me into a hug. She was a short little fiesty thing. Stood five foot even but had a big heart, loved her. We were dorm mates freshman and sophomore year but we moved to a apartment together after that. She was the closest thing I had to a Kris out here.

"I'm good. I've missed you all. Glad to see you're all still alive. This is my boyfriend Kris. Kris, this is Monica, Jamie, Alexis, and Matthew" I say pointing to each person. They all greet each other and we order our food.

"So this is the guy you always talked about and why you always turned me down" Mathew jokes.

"Matt, there are a list of reasons I wouldn't date you. But yes, he is one of them" I laugh.

"So you're the famous Kris Bryant our dear friend failed to tell us was one of the best baseball players in the world" Monica asks sending me a glare at the end. I might have left out a few minor details.

"That's me... I guess" Kris laughs.

"You know she would go on and on and on about you..." Monica trails off and kick her under the table.

"Hey Kris, Matt plays baseball here" I mention trying to change subjects.

"Really? What position do you play" Kris asks.

"Right field mostly. Sometimes center field" he resonds. They go off about baseball and I take the time to catch up with my girls.

"He's a lot cuter in real life, if I was you I would have done the same thing you did" Jamie admits.

"The trick is to get them when you're young, then they can't get away" I joke and she rolls her eyes.

"So how have you been? I saw you on the news not too long ago and it didn't look good" Alexis says.

"It's been a interesting year. I felt on top of the world being with Kris and that Cubs team for the first few months, but after a freak accident I was in the hospital for a few weeks. I took the whole "taking a bullet for the one you love" bit a little too seriously, but I wouldn't have it happen any other way. Since then it's been real chill. I moved in with Kris and... other things" I trail off.

"Other things" she asks. We haven't told anyone I was pregnant yet, we wanted to wait a little longer to make sure things are going well and such. But I wasn't going to see them for a while after this so why not?

"Okay, you can't tell anybody. Literally no one. If this gets out I know you guys opened your mouth because no one else knows... but I'm pregnant" I say with a smile.

"NO WAY" Jamie yells and I cover her mouth.

"Shhhhhhh. Sh. Yes really" I confirm and she smiles up to me brightly.

"Congratulations, I'm so happy for you" Monica says placing her hand on mine.

"Thanks. You know besides the wives and girlfriends I don't have a lot of lady friends in Chicago so it's nice to be able to talk to you guys" I admit.

"We miss you too, but it's nice to know that you're doing pretty good without us" Alexis laughs.

"I got a good team" I smirk. We talk for a little while longer before I give Kris a tour of the campus. I showed him where I stayed, we went to the baseball field and all my favorite study spots. As it gets dark we end up at Boston harbor, the docks outlined by boats and the city was lit up. I was kind of a loner out here. My soul purpose to moving all the way out here was to find out who I was, not what other people wanted me to be. So I would sit at the docks by myself watching life around me change. It was beautiful.

"This view is stunning" Kris says holding my hand as we walked down the dock. I sit down at the edge and he joins me as we look out into the water.

"Remember when we read The Great Gatsby in high school" I ask.

"You mean read, annotated, digested, watched, acted, and experienced. Yeah... I recall" he laughs causing me to smile.

"Sometimes I would come out to this dock and look at that green light over there like Gatsby did. Knowing that if I really wanted to go there I could, get I couldn't at the same time. You were my light, my Daisy, I knew you were out there and I knew you were waiting for me but I could never seem to get across the water. I mean I easily could have just like Gatsby, but it never was that easy. You were "a minute and far away" as the great Scott Fitzgerald said. Much like Daisy you were my past I craved to have back, everything good in my life was connected back to you. I missed that. And ironically I was shot too but thankfully I'm here to live the tale unlike the old sport" I chuckle.

"You are the nerdiest person ever. But I kind of love that metaphor" he admits.

"I already learned the information, might as well apply it to real life" I shrug.

"Well I'm happy to be your Daisy" he smiles.

"I'm happy you're the brightest light to ever shine in my life" I respond. We get up from the dock and I look back to the green light. Leaving my past behind me is going to be hard, but looking forward I have Kris and our first child and that's bigger than anything I've ever done.

"You coming" he asks holding his hand out for me to take. I smile up at him as he helps me up.

"I'll follow you anywhere" I respond. With that I say goodbye to Boston once more. This place has done wonders for me but has nothing else left to offer. Now I must return to the one place I was hoping never to see again... home.