13| All Grown Up

McKayla

Seeing Kris again was... it was simply amazing. He was just I remembered, his tall frame complimented by the dark hair and blue eyes. He always asked the right questions and touched me in a way that made me feel like I was going crazy. I never knew just how much I've missed being with him until I saw him again. All the emotions flew out when I saw him. And even better I get to see Sue and Mike today. I put on a pair of jean shorts and a Cubs shirt before putting my hair in a ponytail and a baseball cap on. Just like the good old days. I jump in my new jeep and head over to the address he sent me.

I walk up to the door and use the knock we used as kids. The door swings open and Kris stands there bright eyed as always. He pulls me into a long and lingering kiss but I didn't mind any, we have a lot of making up to do. Or making out as it's become.

"Good morning" I giggle as he invites me in. The place was pretty empty considering he just got called up, but it was a nice place none the less. We sit and talk until his parents come. It was like we never even went our separate ways, we talked like the past five years we were right next to each other the whole time. Eventually there's a knock on the door as he springs up to get it. I hear talking and his parents come into focus. They meant the world to me, the things they did out of the kindness of their heart, it meant the world to me. I thanked them every chance I had but it will never be enough.

"Oh my god... little Kayla is that you" Mike asks and I nod.

"Yup, it's me" I smile and they pull me into a nice hug.

"Sweetie you look great" Sue says as we let go.

"Thanks Sue, you look lovely yourself" I say holing onto her arms.

"I just can't believe it's really you. You're all grown up" Mike says with a huge smile.

"That's what time will do to ya" I laugh.

"What have you been doing these past five years" she asks as we sit down.

"Lots of school. It was hard at first, I really missed you guys and Kris and wanted to come home a lot but I kept myself busy so I didn't have to think about that all the time" I admit.

"We missed you too. We had two kids move out the house at the same time and Nick had moved out a few years before so it's been quiet around there" Sue laughs.

"Nothing from my parents" I wonder. They were never quiet.

"Same old same old. You haven't contacted them" Mike asks.

"No, I haven't seen or talked to them since I moved away. There's no reason to, they gave me food and shelter and that's all I needed from them. You guys are the real reason I'm still going. Without you I wouldn't be here working with the Cubs" I admit.

"We're so proud of you, I hope you know that. Both of you" Sue says looking between Kris and I. Kris laces his fingers through mine and kisses the back of my hand, it just felt so right.

"Yeah Breezy, you going to kill it tonight" I ask.

"You know it" he smiles. We talk for a little before having brunch at Panera then Kris and I head to the field for the game.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"Hey Kayla, can I talk with you" Kris asks.

"That is what I'm here for" I laugh. He comes into a little office they gave me and we sit on a couch I had put in the corner. When talking about these things it's important to be close and engage in contact if needed. In other words I sit in the couch with the guys so they know I'm listening.

"What's going through that beautiful and complex mind of yours" I ask.

"I guess I'm nervous. We're not in Vegas anymore" he laughs.

"We're not. We're in Chicago, city of broad shoulders. And while a lot has happened since high school, you're still the same guy I remember. The guy who would spend hours in his backyard trying to perfect his swing. The guy who could go four for four in a game and still want to get better. The guy who is so good that he makes those around him better. You can't have a doubt in your mind that you can do this. You shouldn't. These expectations people have set for you, I know they're a fraction of what you expect from yourself. But you're not going to go out there and hit every ball and you're not going to go out there and be perfect. This is baseball. But you can go out there and do what only you can do, and that's be the best you can be. I know you got what it takes, but it's going to take all you got" I say. He nods his head and I know he understands, he always understands me.

"What I would have gave to have had you by my side these last five years" he laughs.

"I know, but if we spend all our time wondering about what might have been we will never see what could be" I reply.

"I love your brain, it's really great" he mentions before kissing my temple.

"Thanks, I put a lot of work into it" I shrug.

Kris doesn't get a hit in his first game but the team won and that's all that really matters. He got his feet wet and his parents and I are super proud of him. We go out to get pizza after the game and celebrate Kris' call up.

"Remember that one time you intentionally hit the Tigers pitcher because he hit Kris the inning before" Mike laughs.

"Hell yeah I do, nailed him right on the ribs. Not even mad I got thrown out" I admit.

"What about that time Kris tried to fight the whole bench because someone cat called Kayla" Sue adds on.

"I didn't even get a swing in that game" he mumbles and we all laugh. We share our favorite memories from high school and have a great time catching up. But eventually Mike and Sue have to catch a flight back home and I have to go to bed.

"It was great seeing you guys again, I can't thank you enough for what you've done for me. I've missed you and hope to see you again soon" I say hugging them.

"Of course sweetie. Glad to have you back in our lives" Sue says. I wave as they get on the plane and let out a sigh.

"Lets get you home. We have a baseball season to dominate" Kris smiles. And with that we were gone.